About This Chapter
ORELA Math: Properties of Real Numbers - Chapter Summary
Use this lesson plan to learn all about real numbers and their properties and then use your knowledge to achieve a greater understanding of factors and multiples. Our easy-to-follow video lessons will cover the following subjects so you can be better prepared for the ORELA Mathematics exam:
- Prime and composite numbers
- Graphing rational numbers on a number line
- The commutative and associative properties of numbers
- The multiplication property of zero
- Determining a number's least common multiple and greatest common factor
- In what order you should perform operations in mathematical equation
- Calculating the prime factorization of a number
Our expert instructors will walk you through each video lesson, helping to make learning these principles easy and fun. After studying, test your skills with our self-assessments.
ORELA Math: Properties of Real Numbers - Chapter Objectives
The Oregon Educator Licensure Assessments (ORELA) Mathematics exam has been replaced with the National Evaluation Series (NES) Mathematics exam. This exam tests teaching candidates' understanding of basic mathematical principles to obtain licensure. The topics in the chapter will assist you in the Mathematical Processes and Number Sense section of the exam, which will test your competency in solving mathematical problems. This section of the test accounts for 19% of the questions.
This is a multiple-choice question test that will ask you to solve theoretical and real-world mathematical problems. Make sure you try out our practice tests to get a better understanding of the types of questions you will be answering on the test.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
3. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
4. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
5. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
6. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
7. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
8. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
9. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- ORELA Math: Fractions
- ORELA Math: Decimals & Percents
- ORELA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ORELA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- ORELA Math: Logic
- ORELA Math: Reasoning
- ORELA Math: Vector Operations
- ORELA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- ORELA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- ORELA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ORELA Math: Linear Equations
- ORELA Math: Inequalities
- ORELA Math: Absolute Value
- ORELA Math: Quadratic Equations
- ORELA Math: Polynomials
- ORELA Math: Rational Expressions
- ORELA Math: Radical Expressions
- ORELA Math: Systems of Equations
- ORELA Math: Complex Numbers
- ORELA Math: Functions
- ORELA Math: Piecewise Functions
- ORELA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- ORELA Math: Continuity of a Function
- ORELA Math: Limits
- ORELA Math: Rate of Change
- ORELA Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- ORELA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- ORELA Math: Integration Techniques
- ORELA Math: Applications of Integration
- ORELA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- ORELA Math: Geometric Figures
- ORELA Math: Properties of Triangles
- ORELA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- ORELA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- ORELA Math: Quadrilaterals
- ORELA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- ORELA Math: Conic Sections
- ORELA Math: Geometric Solids
- ORELA Math: Analytical Geometry
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- ORELA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- ORELA Math: Sequences & Series
- ORELA Math: Graph Theory
- ORELA Math: Set Theory
- ORELA Math: Statistics Overview
- ORELA Math: Summarizing Data
- ORELA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- ORELA Math: Probability
- ORELA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Sampling
- ORELA Math: Regression & Correlation
- ORELA Mathematics Flashcards