About This Chapter
ORELA Mathematics: Quadrilaterals - Chapter Summary
Through a series of lesson videos, our expert instructors will aid in your mastery of geometry by going through the formulas used to find the perimeter and areas of different types of quadrilaterals. If at any time you become confused about a topic of these videos, be sure to send your questions to our instructors so that they can help you prepare to take the ORELA Mathematics exam. Once you have finished this chapter, you should be prepared to answer questions on:
- Properties and proof theorems of parallelograms
- Finding the area of rhombi and parallelograms
- The construction and properties of rectangles
- Properties of squares and trapezoids
- Finding the area of complex figures
Complete the lesson quizzes of the chapter to fortify your mastery of quadrilaterals. Then, using the results of your quizzes, determine what skills you need to improve upon before taking the ORELA Mathematics exam.
ORELA Mathematics: Quadrilaterals Chapter Objectives
The ORELA Mathematics exam is used in the state of Oregon to certify math teachers. This 4.25 hours computerized exam is composed of 150 multiple-choice questions. Nineteen percent of the material covered in this certification exam belong to the Measurement and Geometry domain. The lesson videos, worksheets, and quizzes of this chapter have been compiled to aid in your review of the formulas used to find the properties of quadrilaterals.
1. Parallelograms: Definition, Properties, and Proof Theorems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can identify parallelograms. You will see the unique properties that belong to the parallelogram. You will see the special side and angle characteristics needed to prove a certain shape is a parallelogram.
2. Measuring the Area of a Parallelogram: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn the simple formula to find the area of a parallelogram. Learn what measurements you need, how to label your parallelogram, and how to use the formula.
3. Measuring the Area of a Rhombus: Formula & Examples
Did you know that there are three ways to find the area of a rhombus? Watch this video lesson to learn all three of them. See what information you need for each method as well as the steps required for each.
4. Rectangles: Definition, Properties & Construction
Watch this video lesson to learn a bit about rectangles. Learn why rectangles are the building blocks of many homes. Also, learn about the properties that make a rectangle unique from other shapes. Finally, learn how you can draw one.
5. Measuring the Area of a Rectangle: Formula & Examples
Look around you, and you see rectangles all over the place. And if you see paint, carpet, or anything that covers a rectangular area, you can be sure that someone has measured the area of the rectangle. Watch this video lesson to learn more.
6. Squares: Definition and Properties
Squares can be found in many places in the real world. Watch this video lesson to see how useful they can be and also to learn how to find the perimeter and area of a square.
7. Trapezoids: Definition and Properties
Watch this video lesson to learn what a trapezoid has to do with a triangle. Also, learn the special words that describe the various parts of a trapezoid. You will also see special types of trapezoids.
8. Measuring the Area of a Trapezoid
In this video lesson, you will watch and learn how you can find the area of trapezoid. Learn what measurements you need to have on hand as well as the formula that you need to use.
9. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- ORELA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- ORELA Math: Fractions
- ORELA Math: Decimals & Percents
- ORELA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ORELA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- ORELA Math: Logic
- ORELA Math: Reasoning
- ORELA Math: Vector Operations
- ORELA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- ORELA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- ORELA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ORELA Math: Linear Equations
- ORELA Math: Inequalities
- ORELA Math: Absolute Value
- ORELA Math: Quadratic Equations
- ORELA Math: Polynomials
- ORELA Math: Rational Expressions
- ORELA Math: Radical Expressions
- ORELA Math: Systems of Equations
- ORELA Math: Complex Numbers
- ORELA Math: Functions
- ORELA Math: Piecewise Functions
- ORELA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- ORELA Math: Continuity of a Function
- ORELA Math: Limits
- ORELA Math: Rate of Change
- ORELA Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- ORELA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- ORELA Math: Integration Techniques
- ORELA Math: Applications of Integration
- ORELA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- ORELA Math: Geometric Figures
- ORELA Math: Properties of Triangles
- ORELA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- ORELA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- ORELA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- ORELA Math: Conic Sections
- ORELA Math: Geometric Solids
- ORELA Math: Analytical Geometry
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- ORELA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- ORELA Math: Sequences & Series
- ORELA Math: Graph Theory
- ORELA Math: Set Theory
- ORELA Math: Statistics Overview
- ORELA Math: Summarizing Data
- ORELA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- ORELA Math: Probability
- ORELA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Sampling
- ORELA Math: Regression & Correlation
- ORELA Mathematics Flashcards