About This Chapter
ORELA Math: Regression and Correlation - Chapter Summary
Check regression and correlation off your review list by watching our video lessons. They've been created to be fun and brief yet thorough and effective. You can go back through them or easily jump between topics with them. Watch them anytime, anywhere - even on your mobile devices. Sneak in some review here and there and you'll be ready in no time for the ORELA Mathematics test. Let our subject-matter experts guide you through the essential topics of regression and correlation, such as:
- How to create and interpret scatterplots
- Simple linear regression
- Steps to solving problems using linear regression
- Process of analyzing residuals
- The correlation coefficient
- The differences between correlation and causation
- Steps to transforming nonlinear data
Are you ready to prove your competency to teach math? Our videos and quizzes will give you the confidence you need on test day!
Objectives for the ORELA Math: Regression and Correlation Chapter
Oregon state uses the ORELA to determine the readiness to teach of aspiring math teachers. Our video lessons on regression and correlation were created to correlate and expound upon the objectives of the actual test. The ORELA Math test is computer-based and totals 150 multiple-choice questions. There are five main parts and questions about regression and correlation are likely to be found in the Statistics, Probability and Discrete Mathematics section, which constitutes about 19% of the test.
We know you want to get the best score possible, so let's review some regression and correlation!
1. Creating & Interpreting Scatterplots: Process & Examples
Scatterplots are a great visual representation of two sets of data. In this lesson, you will learn how to interpret bivariate data to create scatterplots and understand the relationship between the two variables.
2. Simple Linear Regression: Definition, Formula & Examples
Simple linear regression is a great way to make observations and interpret data. In this lesson, you will learn to find the regression line of a set of data using a ruler and a graphing calculator.
3. Problem Solving Using Linear Regression: Steps & Examples
Linear regression can be a powerful tool for predicting and interpreting information. Learn to use two common formulas for linear regression in this lesson.
4. Analyzing Residuals: Process & Examples
Can you tell what's normal or independent and what's not? Sometimes, we need to figure this out in the world of statistics. This lesson shows you how as it explains residuals and regression assumptions in the context of linear regression analysis.
5. The Correlation Coefficient: Definition, Formula & Example
The correlation coefficient is an equation that is used to determine the strength of the relationship between two variables. This lesson helps you understand it by breaking the equation down.
6. Correlation vs. Causation: Differences & Definition
When conducting experiments and analyzing data, many people often confuse the concepts of correlation and causation. In this lesson, you will learn the differences between the two and how to identify one over the other.
7. Transforming Nonlinear Data: Steps & Examples
Sometimes we have data sets that we need to analyze and interpret, but it's difficult because the data is nonlinear. This lesson will teach you how to transform nonlinear data sets into more linear graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- ORELA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- ORELA Math: Fractions
- ORELA Math: Decimals & Percents
- ORELA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ORELA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- ORELA Math: Logic
- ORELA Math: Reasoning
- ORELA Math: Vector Operations
- ORELA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- ORELA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- ORELA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ORELA Math: Linear Equations
- ORELA Math: Inequalities
- ORELA Math: Absolute Value
- ORELA Math: Quadratic Equations
- ORELA Math: Polynomials
- ORELA Math: Rational Expressions
- ORELA Math: Radical Expressions
- ORELA Math: Systems of Equations
- ORELA Math: Complex Numbers
- ORELA Math: Functions
- ORELA Math: Piecewise Functions
- ORELA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- ORELA Math: Continuity of a Function
- ORELA Math: Limits
- ORELA Math: Rate of Change
- ORELA Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- ORELA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- ORELA Math: Integration Techniques
- ORELA Math: Applications of Integration
- ORELA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- ORELA Math: Geometric Figures
- ORELA Math: Properties of Triangles
- ORELA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- ORELA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- ORELA Math: Quadrilaterals
- ORELA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- ORELA Math: Conic Sections
- ORELA Math: Geometric Solids
- ORELA Math: Analytical Geometry
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- ORELA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- ORELA Math: Sequences & Series
- ORELA Math: Graph Theory
- ORELA Math: Set Theory
- ORELA Math: Statistics Overview
- ORELA Math: Summarizing Data
- ORELA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- ORELA Math: Probability
- ORELA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Sampling
- ORELA Mathematics Flashcards