About This Chapter
Organism Classification & Phylogenesis - Chapter Summary
See how biologists use the science of taxonomy to sort out the vast panorama of life from the simplest organisms to the most complex by working through these video lessons. You will learn to recognize and understand cladograms and phylogenetic trees and study the evolutionary history of prokaryotes, protists, animals, plants and humans. When you've finished the lessons in this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain what taxonomy is
- Interpret phylogenetic trees and cladograms
- Describe how prokaryotes and protists evolved
- Discuss the evolutionary history of plants and fungi
- Examine the significance and evolutionary history of animals and human beings
These video lessons rarely last more than ten minutes, yet provide you with comprehensive and well-presented information. Brightly illustrated and engagingly written, they hold your interest while making learning fun and easy. The short quiz following each lesson allows you to check your memory, and you can use the embedded links to refer back to the lesson if you wish. The dashboard keeps you organized, and help from our expert instructors is never more than a mouse-click away.
1. Taxonomy: Classification and Naming of Living Things
The name you give to a living thing may be completely different than the name someone else uses. In science, we use a common naming system for all living things to avoid confusion. This lesson will explore the basics of our classification system.
2. Cladograms and Phylogenetic Trees: Evolution Classifications
Family trees help show how people are related to each other. Similarly, scientists use cladograms and phylogenetic trees to study the relationships between organisms.
3. The Evolution of Prokaryotes: Archaebacteria and Eubacteria
The first living organisms on Earth were bacteria. These small organisms still exist today and are responsible for many things. In this lesson, we will explore both ancient bacteria and true bacteria.
4. The Evolution of Protists: Importance & Evolutionary History
Some organisms are very familiar. However, there are some that play vital roles in our lives that we don't even think about. We will look at a group of one of these unfamiliar kingdoms - protists.
5. The Evolution of Plants and Fungi: Characteristics & Evolutionary History
In early classification systems, plants and fungi were grouped together. While there are some similarities between these two kingdoms, there are some key differences that we will explore.
6. The Evolution of Animals: Importance & Evolutionary History
The animal kingdom ranges from simple organisms like sponges to complex organisms like humans. We will look at some defining characteristics of animals as well as examples of both invertebrates and vertebrates.
7. The Evolution of Humans: Characteristics & Evolutionary History
Just like other organisms, humans have changed over time. We will look at the evolution of humans as well as connections with our primate relatives, including Old World and New World primates.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Middle Grades General Science 5-9 (004): Test Practice & Study Guide course
- Structure and Behavior of Matter
- Trends of the Periodic Table
- Gas Laws
- Properties of Waves
- Electricity and Magnetic Force
- Basics of Thermodynamics
- The Electromagnetic Spectrum and Electric Units
- Plate Tectonics and Dating Methods
- Cycles and Layers of the Earth
- Space Science
- Cell Biology & Division
- Chemical Reactions of Metabolism
- Biology of Genetics
- Plant Biology Overview
- Human Anatomy & Physiology Overview
- Overview of Evolution & Natural Selection
- Ecology & Florida
- Scientific Principles
- The Science Learning Environment
- FTCE Middle Grades General Science 5-9 Flashcards