About This Chapter
Organization and Management in Business - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, instructors explain management principles and practices using key term definitions and examples to make the material engaging and easy to learn. You will review the responsibilities and actions of managers at all levels.
You should be able to develop a deeper understanding of business organization and managerial characteristics once you have reviewed this chapter. With a firm grasp of these concepts, you should be able to:
- Explain the characteristics of different types of industries
- Relate the functions of management and management styles at various levels
- Identify internal and external environmental factors affecting business operations
- Explore the impact of the international economy on business operations
- Detail the functions of human resource management
- Define workforce diversity and its importance to business
Watch entire lessons or review only those parts where you feel you need the most review. You can also print and use the text lessons as a source of reference or take self-assessment quizzes to determine what you have learned and identify any areas where you need further study. Use your Dashboard to review quiz scores and contact our expert tutors with any questions you might have about the chapter.
1. Major Economic Industries: History & Characteristics
In this lesson, we discuss the history of four major economic industries. We elaborate on agriculture, manufacturing, energy, and the media from the 1700s right on through to the 21st century.
2. Management in Organizations: Top, Middle & Low-Level Managers
The role of a manager in organizations is complex. While managers can come in different shapes and sizes they all share the task of utilizing people and resources to achieve organizational goals. This lesson will discuss the roles and functions of management found in each of the three levels of management.
3. Management Styles: Definition, Theory & Types
Different management styles are constantly rising and falling in popularity. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the more prominent styles of management and the theory underlying each. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
4. Environmental Factors of Business
Environmental business factors can affect the organization in their day-to-day operations. Management needs to carefully plan and take into account these factors when doing business.
5. Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities
Human resource management is an essential function of both private and public sector organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn what human resource management is, as well as its objectives and responsibilities in an organization.
6. What is Workforce Diversity? - Definition & Issues
Workforce diversity is a valuable asset for any business that seeks a competitive advantage in the global economy. Learn about the issues associated with workforce diversity and take a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Marketing 6-12 (275): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Business Management
- Business Law & Regulation
- Business & Governmental Regulation
- Entrepreneurship & Types of Businesses
- Marketing & Financial Plans in Business
- Accounting Basics for Business
- Risk Management & Credit-Based Relationships
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Business Ethics & Marketing Strategy
- Consumer Behavior & Decision Making
- Research for Marketing
- Demographics in Marketing Research
- Web & Media Marketing
- Product Planning & Promotion
- Advertising, Sales & Promotion in Marketing
- Product Development & Distribution
- Selling & Pricing Strategies
- Marketing & the Global Economy
- Sustainable & International Marketing
- Introduction to International Trade
- Public Relations for Business
- Business Leadership & Decision-Making
- Marketing Data Analysis
- Business Math Applications
- Business Technology & Information Systems
- Technology & Tools for Marketing
- Marketing & E-Commerce
- Marketing Education
- Laying the Foundation for a Marketing Career
- Establishing Professionalism at Work
- Marketing Instruction & Assessment
- TExES Marketing 6-12 Flashcards