About This Chapter
Organizational Change & Company Culture - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive business chapter outlines the connections between company culture and organizational change. Through a series of short and engaging lessons, you'll examine the functions of organizational cultures and subcultures, as well as the ways in which these cultures can be improved. We've included short quizzes throughout the chapter to help you review important terms and concepts from the lessons. Use any computer or mobile device to study, and submit questions to our instructors if you have any. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Identify the characteristics of organizational culture
- Explain how organizational climate can impact culture
- The data "0x8Define the concept of organizational subculture" is not legal for a JDOM character content: 0x8 is not a legal XML character.
- Differentiate between strong and weak organizational cultures
- Evaluate ethical and positive cultures in organizations
- Describe the primary functions of an organizational culture
- Explain how businesses go about creating, sustaining and improving organizational culture
1. What is Organizational Culture? - Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will learn what organizational culture is and how it dictates behavior in organizations. You'll also explore the seven values that define the culture of an organization.
2. Organizational Climate: Definition, Factors & Impacts on Culture
In this lesson you will learn the definition of organizational climate, how it differs from organizational culture, and how the culture of an organization governs the organizational climate.
3. Organizational Subculture: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how subcultures form in organizations and how the values established by subcultures differ from the core values of the dominant culture of the organization.
4. Strong vs. Weak Organizational Cultures: Examples & Differences
In this lesson, you will learn the difference between a strong organizational culture and a weak organizational culture. You will also learn how these different types of culture affect the members of an organization.
5. Ethical Culture and Positive Culture in Organizations
In this lesson, you will learn how an ethical and positive culture can be created in an organization and why it is important for organizations to establish an ethical and positive culture.
6. Functions of Organizational Culture
In this lesson, you will learn about the four functions of organizational culture and the impact these functions have on the members of an organization.
7. Creating and Sustaining Organizational Culture
In this lesson, you will learn how culture is created and sustained in organizations and why it is important for organizations to create and sustain a successful culture in order to succeed in their environment.
8. Strategies for Improving Organizational Culture
Organizational or corporate culture means a lot of different things depending on who you ask, but we all pretty much know when we're in a place we like or don't like. In this lesson, we'll examine how an organization can improve its culture.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 304: Leading Organizational Change course
- How Leadership Affects Organizational Change
- Leadership Theories & Organizational Change
- Types of Leadership in Business
- Power & Leadership in Business Organizations
- Choosing Organizational Structures
- Change Factors in Organizations
- Management Functions & Organizational Change
- Organizational Change Theories
- Strategies for Implementing Changes in Business
- Communicating Change in Business
- Corporate Vision, Mission & Change
- Issues in Leading Organizational Change
- Globalization & Organizational Change
- Required Assignments for Business 304
- Studying for Business 304