About This Chapter
Organizational Change Theories - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive business chapter summarizes and analyzes a variety of organizational and corporate change theories. After defining the components of organizational change theory, you'll take a look at Theory E and Theory O and see how they can be applied in organizational change contexts. Our instructors have designed these lessons to be short, simple and entertaining. This teaching approach helps you quickly move through the chapter and remember important theoretical concepts. Be sure to take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to reinforce your understanding of the information. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Compare several types of organizational change
- Define organizational development and summarize organizational change theory
- Evaluate corporate change Theory E and Theory O
- Explain how creativity, innovation and change operate in the knowledge economy
- Outline several strategic change management model
- Apply several corporate change theories to organizational change situations
1. Types of Internal Organizational Change: Structural, Strategic, People, and Process
Organizational change can occur in response to internal or external factors. This lesson focuses specifically on those changes that occur in a company's internal environment, including structural, strategic, people and process changes.
2. What Is Organizational Development? - Executing Organizational Change
Organizational development is the process of helping organizations improve through change in policies, power, leadership, control or job redesign. This lesson explores organizational climate, organizational culture and organizational strategy, the three main sections of organizational development theory.
3. What Is Organizational Change? - Theory & Example
Organizational change is an essential concept to understand in our complex world. In this lesson, you'll learn one of the theories of organizational change. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz following the lesson.
4. Theory E & Theory O of Corporate Change
Managing corporate change is one of the biggest challenges facing organizations. This lesson compares two theories of corporate change, theory E and theory O, and the reasons why many organizations opt for a combination of these two approaches.
5. Creativity, Innovation, and Change and the Knowledge Economy
In business, one has to be creative and innovative in order to stay ahead of the competition. Having said that, one also needs to be able to manage change, as the business world changes on a constant basis. This lesson will address each of these topics and explain how they interrelate to business.
6. What Is Strategic Change Management? - Definition, Models & Examples
In this lesson, we'll be looking at strategic change management, which is a process of managing a change within an organization or company. We'll also look at the various models of strategic change management. Afterwards, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. Applying Corporate Change Theories to Organizational Change
An organization that is at a standstill is actually losing ground. Organizational development and change theory can be applied to an organization to prepare a company to meet its mission in the long-term.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 304: Leading Organizational Change course
- How Leadership Affects Organizational Change
- Leadership Theories & Organizational Change
- Types of Leadership in Business
- Power & Leadership in Business Organizations
- Choosing Organizational Structures
- Change Factors in Organizations
- Management Functions & Organizational Change
- Strategies for Implementing Changes in Business
- Communicating Change in Business
- Organizational Change & Company Culture
- Corporate Vision, Mission & Change
- Issues in Leading Organizational Change
- Globalization & Organizational Change
- Required Assignments for Business 304
- Studying for Business 304