About This Chapter
Organizational & Company Culture - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Organizational culture can help you understand many things about a company, and this chapter will assist you in your understanding of it. Brief video lessons will help you comprehend things like the workplace spirituality, cultural barriers, and other concepts. You will also be able to take short quizzes on them also. By the time you've completed this chapter, you will know the following:
- Values that define organizational culture
- How an organization builds and sustains its own culture
- The importance of employee socialization to the culture of a company
- How the culture of a company can be a barrier
- Characteristics of ethical and positive culture in an organization
- Reasons for increased interest in workplace spirituality
|What is Organizational Culture? - Definition & Characteristics||Explain the definition and characteristics of organizational culture|
|Organizational Subculture: Definition & Examples||Analyze examples of organization subculture.|
|Strong vs. Weak Organizational Cultures: Examples & Differences||Differentiate examples of strong and weak organizational cultures.|
|Creating and Sustaining Organizational Culture||Evaluate the ways to create and keep organizational culture.|
|Employee Socialization: Maintaining a Company Culture||Measure the way organizations can utilize socialization to maintain culture.|
|Dysfunction in Organizational Culture: Institutionalization & Barriers||Formulate the ways in which an organization's culture can be a barrier.|
|Ethical Culture & Positive Culture in Organizations||Point out the importance of ethical and positive culture in organizations.|
|Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Culture||Dissect workplace spirituality and why some organizations strive for it.|
|Business Case Study: Unilever Corporate Culture & Values||Analyze Unilever's corporate culture.|
|Business Case Study: Nordstrom's Culture of Customer Service||Consider Nordstrom's culture and customer service.|
1. What is Organizational Culture? - Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will learn what organizational culture is and how it dictates behavior in organizations. You'll also explore the seven values that define the culture of an organization.
2. Organizational Subculture: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how subcultures form in organizations and how the values established by subcultures differ from the core values of the dominant culture of the organization.
3. Strong vs. Weak Organizational Cultures: Examples & Differences
In this lesson, you will learn the difference between a strong organizational culture and a weak organizational culture. You will also learn how these different types of culture affect the members of an organization.
4. Creating and Sustaining Organizational Culture
In this lesson, you will learn how culture is created and sustained in organizations and why it is important for organizations to create and sustain a successful culture in order to succeed in their environment.
5. Employee Socialization: Maintaining a Company Culture
In this lesson, you will learn how organizations use the socialization process for prospective and newly hired employees. This process is used to maintain the existing culture of the organization.
6. Dysfunction in Organizational Culture: Institutionalization & Barriers
In this lesson, you will learn how the culture of an organization can become a liability by acting as a barrier to change, a barrier to diversity, or a barrier to a merger or acquisition with another organization.
7. Ethical Culture and Positive Culture in Organizations
In this lesson, you will learn how an ethical and positive culture can be created in an organization and why it is important for organizations to establish an ethical and positive culture.
8. Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Culture
In this lesson, you will learn the meaning of workplace spirituality and why there is a growing interest among organizations to establish and maintain a spiritual workplace. Find out how it can enhance the working environment for its members.
9. Business Case Study: Unilever Corporate Culture & Values
This lesson examines the corporate culture at Unilever. We analyze how the culture came about, when it changed course, and where it is today. Unilever is a unique company. From independence to sustainability, let's see how Unilever's culture evolved.
10. Business Case Study: Nordstrom's Culture of Customer Service
Nordstrom is an upscale company that promises excellent customer service to every customer. The organizational culture of Nordstrom is built on customer service, and the company's success is built on its employees.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior course
- Overview of Organizational Behavior
- Leadership in Organizations
- Management Process & Strategy
- Diversity & Social Issues in Leadership
- Personality in Organizations
- Attitudes & Values in Organizations
- Perception & Attribution in Organizations
- Employee Morale & Motivation
- Motivation Theory
- Types of Workplace Communication
- Work Teams & Group Behavior
- Team Decision Making
- Conflict in Organizations
- Organizational Structure & Design
- Job Design in Organizations
- Business Ethics & Issues
- Change in Organizations
- Globalization & Organizational Behavior
- Required Assignments for Business 307
- Studying for Business 307