About This Chapter
Organizational Control in Business - Chapter Summary
This chapter is about organizational control in business. See how internal control systems are impacted by technology, the characteristics and implications of clan control, and how management by objective works. The lessons will discuss such material as:
- Feedforward, concurrent and feedback organizational controls
- Financial controls
- Budget controls
- Top-down, bottom-up, zero-based and flexible budgeting
- Examples and disadvantages of bureaucratic leadership
Lessons are short, engaging text and videos, each with an accompanying multiple-choice quiz for assessing your understanding of the material presented. Videos average 5-10 minutes in length, come with a video transcript and also have a timeline tool you can use to quickly locate any portion of the video that you want to replay.
1. Organizational Controls: Feedforward, Concurrent & Feedback
In the business world, organizations constantly need to ensure that they're meeting the goals they've set for themselves. That's where the three types of organizational controls come in. Watch this lesson to learn about feedforward, concurrent and feedback controls.
2. Technology's Impact on the Internal Control System
Almost every day, you hear about new advances in technology. Do you ever wonder how this new technology affects the business world? In this lesson, we are going to discuss how technology impacts internal control.
3. Control System: The Four-Step Process
To keep working toward your company goals, you will want to make sure you can measure and evaluate your progress. This lesson will discuss the four-step process to making sure your company stays on track!
4. Financial Controls in Organizations
Organizations have to deal with a lot of money. How do they keep it all straight? In this lesson, we're going to explore the concept of financial controls and see how these can be used to help organizations manage their resources.
5. Budget Controls: Top-Down, Bottom-Up, Zero-Based & Flexible Budgeting
In this lesson, we will explain the purpose of budget controls and explore several key related concepts including top-down budgeting, bottom-up budgeting, zero-based budgeting and flexible budgeting.
6. Managerial Control: Definition, Techniques & Types
In this lesson, you will learn about the concept of managerial control, what it is, its types and its techniques. You'll also have an opportunity to reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz after the lesson.
7. What Is Management by Objective? - Defining the MBO Process
Management by objective (MBO) changed the way many companies worked and functioned. With MBO, employees' input was sought out and used to help develop the goals and objectives for the organization.
8. What Is Bureaucratic Leadership? - Definition, Examples & Disadvantages
Bureaucratic leadership is one of the most prevalent forms of management today. In this lesson, you'll learn the key concepts of bureaucratic leadership and be provided with some examples of it. You'll also discover some of its disadvantages.
9. Clan Control: Definition, Characteristics & Workplace Implications
Clan control allows an organization to base its culture on values and beliefs, and to operate like a family. In this lesson, we will discuss what clan control is as well as other business organization techniques such as hierarchy, market, and adhocracy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CM Leading & Controlling Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager course
- Workplace Leadership
- Employee Motivation in the Workplace
- Managing Change in the Workplace
- Workplace Conflict
- Organizational Politics at Work
- Managing Workplace Misbehavior
- Types of Workplace Misbehavior
- Privacy in the Workplace
- Time & Stress Management at Work
- Controlling Operations Costs in Business
- Quality Management in Business
- Inventory Control in Business
- Business Accounting Fundamentals
- Financial Statements for Business
- Financial Analysis for Business
- Financial Management for Business
- CM Leading & Controlling Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager Flashcards