About This Chapter
Organizational Culture - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
If you have ever worked in a business environment of any type, you know that there is a unique environment or culture within that organization. If you have changed jobs, you might have noticed that the organizational culture of each business is unique, but that there are some universal aspects as well. In this chapter, the focus is on organizational culture. You'll get to explore the concept, see what it really means, and the function it serves. Some of the specific things that will be covered in our lessons include:
- Characteristics of organizational culture
- Organizational subculture
- How a culture is maintained
- Impact of institutionalization
- Workplace spirituality
|What is Organization Culture? - Definition & Characteristics||Get an in-depth look at what organizational culture is.|
|Functions of Organizational Culture||Study the function of organizational culture.|
|Organizational Subculture: Definition & Examples||Discuss how subcultures form in organizations and how they differ from the dominate culture.|
|Creating and Sustaining Organizational Culture||Identify the factors that create and sustain an organization's culture.|
|Dysfunction in Organizational Culture: Institutionalization & Barriers||Explore some of the dysfunctional aspects of organizational culture, such as institutionalization.|
|Ethical Culture and Positive Culture in Organizations||Examine how an ethical and positive culture can be created.|
|Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Culture||Find out more about the trend of embracing workplace spirituality in organizations.|
1. What is Organizational Culture? - Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will learn what organizational culture is and how it dictates behavior in organizations. You'll also explore the seven values that define the culture of an organization.
2. Functions of Organizational Culture
In this lesson, you will learn about the four functions of organizational culture and the impact these functions have on the members of an organization.
3. Organizational Subculture: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how subcultures form in organizations and how the values established by subcultures differ from the core values of the dominant culture of the organization.
4. Creating and Sustaining Organizational Culture
In this lesson, you will learn how culture is created and sustained in organizations and why it is important for organizations to create and sustain a successful culture in order to succeed in their environment.
5. Dysfunction in Organizational Culture: Institutionalization & Barriers
In this lesson, you will learn how the culture of an organization can become a liability by acting as a barrier to change, a barrier to diversity, or a barrier to a merger or acquisition with another organization.
6. Ethical Culture and Positive Culture in Organizations
In this lesson, you will learn how an ethical and positive culture can be created in an organization and why it is important for organizations to establish an ethical and positive culture.
7. Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Culture
In this lesson, you will learn the meaning of workplace spirituality and why there is a growing interest among organizations to establish and maintain a spiritual workplace. Find out how it can enhance the working environment for its members.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 107: Organizational Behavior course
- The Evolution of Organizational Behavior
- Management and Organizational Behavior
- Foundations of Individual Behavior
- Personality and Behavior in Organizations
- Emotions and Moods in the Workplace
- Attitudes and Values in the Workplace
- Perception and Attribution
- Employee Motivation
- Individual Decision Making in Organizations
- Workforce Diversity
- Organizational Communication in Business
- Groups and Work Teams
- Group Decision Making
- Conflict in the Workplace
- Leadership in Organizational Behavior
- Leadership Styles in Organizational Behavior
- Organizational Structure and Design
- Job Design
- Organizational Change and Organizational Behavior
- Career Management
- Studying for Business 107