About This Chapter
Organizational Structure and Design - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
If you have worked for a few different companies, you likely understand that the structure and organization of companies can differ. Not every organization will be structured in the same manner because the same structure doesn't always work for every type of organization. In this chapter, we will focus on discussing structure and design in organizations. You will study concepts that allow you to understand the link between structure and design, as well as learning about different types of organizational structures. By completing these lessons, you'll learn about:
- The components of organizational structure
- Traditional organizational designs
- The purpose of role specialization
- Advantages of a boundaryless structure
- Downsizing strategies
- Lean organizational structures
|Organizational Structure: Definition and Influence on Organizational Behavior||Study the definition of organizational structure.|
|Mechanistic & Organic Organizational Business Structures||Find out about the differences in mechanistic and organic organizational structures.|
|Work Specialization in Organizations||Take a look at the purpose of role specialization and how it helps to organize separate jobs.|
|Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs||Explore the types of traditional organizational designs.|
|Types of Contemporary Organizational Designs: Matrix, Team & Network Designs||Learn about the types of contemporary organizational designs.|
|The Boundaryless Organization: Structure and Advantages||Find out about boundaryless organizations.|
|Organizational Downsizing: Definition, Strategies & Business Impacts||Learn about the challenges of downsizing.|
|Strategy and Organizational Structure||Examine organizational strategy.|
|Technology: How Organizations Turn Inputs to Outputs||See how technology affects organizations.|
|Organizational Size: Impacts on Structure and Design of an Organization||Discover how the size of the organization influences organizational structure and design.|
|Lean Organizational Structure||Examine lean organizational structures and how they differ from traditional structures.|
|Organizational Design and Organizational Behavior||Learn about the behavioral implications of different organizational designs.|
1. Organizational Structure: Definition and Influence on Organizational Behavior
In this lesson you will learn the definition of organizational structure and how the structure of an organization can influence the attitudes and behaviors of organizational members.
2. Mechanistic & Organic Organizational Business Structures
Different organizations require different structures. This lesson describes the differences between mechanistic and organic organizational structures by looking at the specifics of organizations.
3. Work Specialization in Organizations
One of the most important decisions an organization will need to make is how to get work done. This lesson will explain the purpose of work specialization in an organization and how it is used to organize separate jobs.
4. Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of traditional organizational designs, including simple, functional and divisional designs.
5. Types of Contemporary Organizational Designs: Matrix, Team & Network Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of contemporary organizational designs, including matrix, team and network designs.
6. The Boundaryless Organization: Structure and Advantages
In this lesson, you will learn how the structure of an organization can create barriers that have a negative impact on its operations. Find out why managers want to reduce or eliminate these barriers and create a boundaryless organization.
7. Organizational Downsizing: Definition, Strategies & Business Impacts
In this lesson, you will learn why organizations choose to downsize their operations and about the implications that organizational downsizing has on organizational members.
8. Technology: How Organizations Turn Inputs to Outputs
In this lesson, you will learn about the three different types of technologies used by organizations and how the type of technology used by an organization impacts the structure of that organization.
9. Organizational Size: Impacts on Structure and Design of an Organization
In this lesson, you will learn how the size of an organization impacts the structure and design of that organization in the areas of work specialization, departmentalization, and formalization.
10. Lean Organizational Structure
In this lesson, you will learn how the structure of a lean organization differs from the structure of a traditional organization and the benefits organizations with lean structures have over organizations with traditional structures.
11. Strategy and Organizational Structure
In this lesson you will learn the three different elements to organizational strategy and which organizational structures work best for each of these elements.
12. Organizational Design and Organizational Behavior
In this lesson, you will learn how two different elements of organizational structure influence the performance and behavior of members of organizations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 107: Organizational Behavior course
- The Evolution of Organizational Behavior
- Management and Organizational Behavior
- Foundations of Individual Behavior
- Personality and Behavior in Organizations
- Emotions and Moods in the Workplace
- Attitudes and Values in the Workplace
- Perception and Attribution
- Employee Motivation
- Individual Decision Making in Organizations
- Workforce Diversity
- Organizational Communication in Business
- Groups and Work Teams
- Group Decision Making
- Conflict in the Workplace
- Leadership in Organizational Behavior
- Leadership Styles in Organizational Behavior
- Job Design
- Organizational Culture
- Organizational Change and Organizational Behavior
- Career Management
- Studying for Business 107