About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your organizational management homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your organizational management homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Authority in centralized and decentralized organizations
- Contemporary and other organizational designs
- Continuous improvement and reengineered jobs
- Henri Fayol's theories of management
- Informal organizations
- Job specialization in organizations
- Mechanistic and organic business structures
- Organizational culture and change
- Organizational design and structure
- Principles of organizational management
- Total Quality Management (TQM) principles
- TQM implementation
- Max Weber's theories of management
1. Principles of Organizational Management
Many businesses today are complex systems that require more than ad hoc design and management. In this lesson, you'll discover some of the important principles of organizational management necessary to build a successful organization.
2. Bureaucracy: Max Weber's Theory of Impersonal Management
At a time when organizations were run like families, Max Weber looked for ways to bring a more formalized structure to organizations. Weber created the idea of bureaucratic management where organizations are more authoritative, rigid and structured. This lesson will describe the development of bureaucracy and common characteristics of bureaucratic organizations.
3. Henri Fayol's Management Principles: Managing Departmental Task Organization
Prior to Henri Fayol's development of an administrative theory of management, managers took a scientific approach to work, attempting to maximize productivity by treating their workers like machines. Fayol's 14 Principles of Management focus on the entire organization rather than just the work. This lesson covers the first seven of these principles.
4. Fayol's Theories on Staff Management and Worker Satisfaction
In this lesson, we'll discuss how Henri Fayol's final seven principles play out in the workplace. Using a professional restaurant kitchen as an example, you'll learn about the importance of worker satisfaction and other elements of effective management.
5. Organizational Design and Structure
There is a relationship between organizational design and structure because of different factors. Organizational size, organizational life cycle, strategy, environment and technology work together to form a complete organization.
6. Mechanistic & Organic Organizational Business Structures
Different organizations require different structures. This lesson describes the differences between mechanistic and organic organizational structures by looking at the specifics of organizations.
7. Work Specialization in Organizations
One of the most important decisions an organization will need to make is how to get work done. This lesson will explain the purpose of work specialization in an organization and how it is used to organize separate jobs.
8. Authority in Centralized & Decentralized Organizations
There are several approaches to authority. In this lesson, learn about the centralized organization, where authority is top-down through a chain of command. Contrast that with the decentralized organization, where authority is assigned at different levels in the hierarchy.
9. Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of traditional organizational designs, including simple, functional and divisional designs.
10. Types of Contemporary Organizational Designs: Matrix, Team & Network Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of contemporary organizational designs, including matrix, team and network designs.
11. Characteristics of Informal Organizations: The Grapevine & Informal Groups
Have you ever thought about how important the relationships you have with your coworkers are to your organization? This lesson will discuss the common elements of informal organizations including their characteristics, informal groups, and the grapevine.
12. Reengineering Jobs for Continuous Improvement
Reengineering jobs for continuous improvement results in dramatic improvements such as streamlined processes, enormous cost savings, and more profit for the company.
13. Total Quality Management (TQM): Definition, Principles & Examples
Total quality management (TQM) is achieved and becomes part of the overall organizational culture when the five principles are practiced by all employees.
14. Implementing Total Quality Management (TQM) in an Organization
When an organization adopts total quality management, they are really creating a new culture of customer satisfaction and quality products and services utilizing the skills of highly qualified employees and strong supplier relations to meet and exceed organizational goals.
15. Organizational Culture and Change
Organizational change involving altering processes and systems within a company often affects the existing group norms, beliefs and values. This makes change a challenge for managers. There are tactics managers can use to institute change in a positive and welcoming way.
16. Key Deliverables in Project Management: Definition & Steps
What is a key deliverable? In this lesson, we'll learn about the major steps in project management, how key deliverables fit into the bigger picture, and how to determine them for our project.
17. What Is the Strategic Planning Process? - Model, Steps & Examples
Strategic planning is essential for organizational success. In this lesson, you'll learn about strategic planning, including the steps in the process. A short quiz is provided after the lesson.
18. Agenda Setting: Definition, Function, Process & Examples
In this lesson, we will explore agenda setting and discover how the media shapes and influences issues of importance. Agenda setting will be defined, its functions and processes will be presented, and examples of agenda setting will be provided.
19. Horizontal Integration: Definition, Benefits & Examples
When a company wants to grow, it will buy growth though the acquisition of other companies. In this lesson, you will learn how firms use a horizontal integration strategy to grow.
20. Organizational Design: Theory, Principles & Definition
What rules do people follow when planning a new business or organization? Find out by learning about organizational design: what it is, some theories that relate to it, and some important principles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Business: Homework Help Resource course
- The Dynamic Business Environment: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Social Responsibility and Ethical Behavior in Business
- Economics and Business: Homework Help
- Business in Global Markets: Homework Help
- Forms of Business Ownership: Homework Help
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business: Homework Help
- Managing and Leading in Business: Homework Help
- Leadership Styles in Business: Homework Help
- Business Production and Operations: Homework Help
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation: Homework Help
- Basics of Human Resources: Homework Help
- Managing the Employer-Worker Relationship: Homework Help
- Business Marketing Basics: Homework Help
- Product Development and Retailing: Homework Help
- Product Distribution & Supply Chain Management: Homework Help
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing: Homework Help
- Product Promotion: Homework Help
- MIS Basics: Homework Help
- Implications of Information Technology: Homework Help
- Risk Management: Homework Help
- Accounting Basics: Homework Help
- Financial Management: Homework Help
- Securities Markets: Homework Help
- Money and Financial Institutions: Homework Help