About This Chapter
Organizational Management: Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Understanding organizational management is essential to creating a principled organization with a well-designed and effective structural foundation. In this chapter, you'll learn about the basic principles of organizational management, the different types of organizational designs, and the relationship between design and organizational structure, among other important managerial topics. Our instructor also explains the importance of role specialization, authority and delegation, job creation, and culture within an organization. Students will be introduced to many important vocabulary terms over the course of the chapter. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the basic principles of, and concepts behind, organizational management
- Describe Max Weber's approach to organizational management and explain Henri Fayol's 14 principles of management
- Describe the factors that affect organizational design and structure
- Identify the differences between mechanistic and organic organizational structures
- Identify the different types of organizational designs within traditional, contemporary, and informal organizations
- Define Total Quality Management (TQM) and explain the considerations behind its implementation
|Principles of Organizational Management||Learn the basic principles and concepts of organizational management, including appropriate division of labor, job specialization and departmentalization, establishing procedures, and assigning authority.|
|Organizational Design: Theory, Principles & Definition||Analyze theories and principles of organizational design.|
|Organizational Design and Structure||Understand the relationship between organizational design and structure and the factors that affect it, including organizational size, life-cycle, strategy, environment, and technology.|
|Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs||Identify different types of traditional organizational designs.|
|Types of Contemporary Organizational Designs: Matrix, Team & Network Designs||Identify different types of contemporary organizational designs.|
|Organizational Behavior Theory in Business||Examine the history of organizational behavior theory and the pros and cons of its application in business organizations.|
|Five Principles of Total Quality Management (TQM)||Understand TQM and identify its five principles.|
|Modern Theory of Management||Discuss the three approaches in the modern theory of management.|
1. Principles of Organizational Management
Many businesses today are complex systems that require more than ad hoc design and management. In this lesson, you'll discover some of the important principles of organizational management necessary to build a successful organization.
2. Organizational Design: Theory, Principles & Definition
What rules do people follow when planning a new business or organization? Find out by learning about organizational design: what it is, some theories that relate to it, and some important principles.
3. Organizational Design and Structure
There is a relationship between organizational design and structure because of different factors. Organizational size, organizational life cycle, strategy, environment and technology work together to form a complete organization.
4. Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of traditional organizational designs, including simple, functional and divisional designs.
5. Types of Contemporary Organizational Designs: Matrix, Team & Network Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of contemporary organizational designs, including matrix, team and network designs.
6. Organizational Behavior Theory in Business
This lesson contains a brief history of organizational behavior theory in business, including core contributing theorists. Further, the lesson discusses the pros and cons of the theory and provides a case study. Find out why people act the way they do in organizations.
7. Five Principles of Total Quality Management (TQM)
Total quality management (TQM) is achieved and becomes part of the overall organizational culture when the five principles - produce quality work the first time, focus on the customer, have a strategic approach to improvement, improve continuously and encourage mutual respect and teamwork - are practiced by all employees.
8. Modern Theory of Management
Modern management theory has changed the way managers look at their jobs. Advancements and refinements in management theory and practice have enabled managers and managerial systems to evolve. In this lesson, we will look at modern management theories.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 100: Intro to Business course
- The Dynamic Business Environment
- Practicing Social Responsibility and Ethical Behavior in Business
- Economics and Business
- Business in Global Markets
- Forms of Business Ownership
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business
- Managing and Leading in Business
- Leadership Styles in Business
- Business Production and Operations
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation
- Basics of Human Resources
- Managing the Employer-Worker Relationship
- Business Marketing Basics
- Product Development and Retailing
- Product Distribution & Supply Chain Management
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing
- Product Promotion in Business
- MIS Basics in Business
- Implications of Information Technology
- Risk Management in Business
- Accounting Basics
- Financial Management in Business
- Securities Markets and Business
- Money and Financial Institutions
- Studying for Business 100