About This Chapter
Organizational Staffing - Chapter Summary
In this chapter on organizational staffing, brief video lessons cover topics like the impact of turnover in the workplace and the process for terminating an employee. Knowledgeable instructors also go over different types of interviews used during the hiring process. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to comfortably:
- Explain how HR managers recruit and hire employees
- Outline the pros and cons of various staffing selection methods
- Provide an overview of job bidding as a method of recruitment
- Describe the effects of absenteeism in the workplace
- Recall best practices used to terminate an employee
- Discuss layoffs and other types of employment termination
- List conditional, pre-planned and impulsive reasons why employees quit
Our instructors provide helpful animations and illustrations to assist you with grasping the concepts presented on organizational staffing. A short quiz is available for all of the lessons, and you can even contact our experts with any questions. For your convenience, the quizzes link back to the corresponding points in the lessons, so if you get a question wrong you can quickly review that topic again.
1. Human Resource Management: Hiring and Staffing
In this lesson, we will explore the role a manager plays in human resource management, including hiring and staffing. We will also look at the circumstances affecting employment decisions such as promotion, turnover, downsizing, job redesign and termination.
2. The Hiring Process: How Human Resource Managers Recruit and Hire Employees
When a company is hiring, they need to ensure that they hire the right employees. There are several different steps involved in the hiring process. This lesson explains these steps that include application forms, testing, interviewing, reference checks and health exams.
3. Common Staffing Selection Methods: Definitions, Interview Types, Pros & Cons
Most companies rely on interviewing potential employees as part of the selection process. In this lesson, you'll learn about different types of interviews utilized by companies. We'll also cover some of the major pitfalls in using them.
4. Job Bidding as a Recruitment Method
Sometimes the best prospects for recruitment can be found already inside the organization. In this lesson, you'll learn about job bidding and how it is used for internal recruitment. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
5. Absenteeism and Turnover in the Workplace: Definition & Effects
Employee absenteeism and turnover can be serious problems for organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn about absenteeism and turnover, their impact and what can be done to reduce their occurrence. A short quiz follows.
6. Terminating an Employee: Process & Best Practices
Learn about the several steps involved in the process of terminating an employee, as well as the best practices a manager can use to ensure a fair and legal separation of employment.
7. Types of Termination: Attrition, Layoffs, Resignation, Retirement & RIF
An organization's labor force is almost always in flux: sometimes employees need to be replaced and sometimes they don't. In this lesson, you'll learn about the different ways employment can be terminated. A short quiz follows the lesson.
8. Impulsive, Comparison, Pre-Planned & Conditional Reasons Employees Quit
Employee turnover is a reality of life for human resource management professionals. Sometimes turnover is voluntary; people just quit. In this lesson, you'll learn about different reasons employees quit. A short quiz follows the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Human Resource Management: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Organizational Theories for Human Resources
- Job Design & Performance Metrics
- Employee Training & Career Development
- Performance Appraisal in Business Management
- Employee Compensation & Incentives
- Employee Rights & Insurance
- Employment Law for Human Resources
- Understanding Labor Relations
- Workforce Diversity & Inclusion
- Organizational Strategy for Human Resources
- Current Issues & Trends in Human Resource Management
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Human Resource Management Flashcards