About This Chapter
Organizational Structure & Business Processes - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this engaging chapter to review key topics related to the business process and organizational structure. These lessons cover authority in decentralized and centralized organizations and the control implications of different kinds of organizational structures. You'll also study the International Organization for Standardization, the different types of business cycles and the factors that affect them. This chapter is also designed to help you:
- Detail economic performance over time
- Outline business process analysis
- Define the theory of constraints
- Identify successful inventory management techniques
- Explain the benefits of an electronic funds transfer
- Describe the process involved in the transfer of transactional information
- Differentiate between e-commerce and m-commerce
- Discuss the benefits of outsourcing
If you find these topics challenging, feel free to review the lessons as many times as you need to feel confident. You can also contact our expert instructors for help. Each lesson comes with a short quiz that you can use to assess your comprehension and ensure you are ready to move on to new topics.
1. Authority in Centralized & Decentralized Organizations
There are several approaches to authority. In this lesson, learn about the centralized organization, where authority is top-down through a chain of command. Contrast that with the decentralized organization, where authority is assigned at different levels in the hierarchy.
2. Risks & Control Implications of Different Organizational Structures
Domain 3 of the Certified Internal Auditor Exam covers topics related to risk associated with various organizational structures. This lesson will explore important information relevant to Domain 3.1 (Risk/Control Implications of Different Organizational Structures) and 3.2 (Types of Organizational Structures).
3. What is the International Organization for Standardization (ISO)?
This lesson will describe the purpose of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), and its role in providing standards for organizational structure, business processes, and risk management.
4. Business Cycles: Types & Characteristics
A business can have many different departments — sales, accounting and information technology to name a few. In this lesson, we'll examine some of the cycles that areas of a business go through and how they may interact.
5. Factors Affecting Business Cycles
In this lesson we'll learn about the factors that affect the business cycle. The business cycle can be used to help predict future business and is very important in the forecasting model.
6. The Business Cycle: Economic Performance Over Time
Learn the economic terms that describe economic performance over time and how indicators such as unemployment and inflation behave throughout these economic fluctuations.
7. The Theory of Constraints: Business Applications
This lesson will introduce the Theory of Constraints (TOC). It will discuss the application of the TOC to operations in a business through the use of the five steps of the focusing process of improvement.
8. Inventory Management Techniques
How does a company know how much inventory to keep on hand? In this lesson, we'll examine inventory management and discuss three major approaches: the ABC approach, the economic order quantity model, and derived-demand inventory.
9. What is an Electronic Funds Transfer? - Definition, Process & Benefits
Learn about what electronic funds transfer is and all the ways you may use it in your daily life. Find out how the process differs from the older paper style and some of the many benefits that you can experience by adopting electronic funds transfer.
10. Electronic Data Interchange and the Transfer of Transactional Information
Electronic Data Interchange is a set of rules that describe how electronic business is conducted over a computer network. Learn how EDI replaces the paper documents that used to be part of most business transactions.
11. e-commerce & m-commerce: Buying & Selling on the Web & Mobile Devices
E-commerce and m-commerce have transformed the way that organizations and consumers conduct business. Additional topics discussed in this lesson include B2B, B2C, C2C, and e-government.
12. What is Outsourcing? - Definition & Benefits
Outsourcing is a strategy that can benefit a company's bottom line. In this lesson, you'll learn what outsourcing is and some of its benefits as well as look at an example.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Internal Auditing Overview
- Internal Auditor Skills & Responsibilities
- Internal Auditing Controls & Risk Management
- Planning the Audit Process & Gathering Data
- Data Analysis & Reporting Tools for Auditors
- Strategic Role of the Internal Auditor
- Operational Role of the Internal Auditor
- Establishing an Internal Audit Plan
- Individual Auditing Engagements
- Fraud Risk Assessment & Management for Auditors
- Corporate Governance & Business Ethics
- Modern Organizational Communication
- Strategic Management, Competitor Analysis & Decision Making
- Organizational Structure, Behavior & Performance
- Leadership & Project Management Styles & Methodologies
- Information Technology Security & Development
- IT System Infrastructure
- Concepts in Financial Accounting
- Concepts in Managerial Accounting
- Global Business Environment Basics