About This Chapter
Organizational Structure & Communication - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive business chapter covers organizational structure and communication within the scope of international business. You'll find engaging and informative lessons that show you everything you need to know about communication methods of international companies and see how globalization affects managerial functions, human resource issues and cross-cultural communication strategies. To add to the effectiveness of the video lessons, we've included word-for-word transcripts and lesson quizzes throughout the chapter. You can study these lessons whenever you have free time, and access them on any desktop, laptop or smartphone. Upon completion of this business chapter, you'll be able to:
- Assess how organizational structure, culture and behavior are affected by globalization
- Evaluate international company management
- Analyze managerial functions in international organizations
- Recognize human resource issues in international business
- Summarize Hofstede's cultural dimensions theory
- Distinguish cross-cultural communication strategies
- Point out ways that businesses develop intercultural competence
1. Globalization and Organizational Structure
Organizational structure can be influenced by many different aspects of globalization. In this lesson, we will explore organizational structure and the impact globalization can have on it.
2. Globalization and Organizational Culture
Culture influences almost every aspect of an organization. Globalization is one of the forces that influences organizational culture, and in this lesson we will talk about just how globalization impacts organizational culture.
3. Globalization and Organizational Behavior
As the world around us gets smaller, globalization will be in more areas and impact organizations. Organizational behavior is impacted by globalization and in this lesson we will discuss that aspect.
4. Managing in International Companies
Managing in international companies takes a special type of person. The reason for that is that not only do managers have to have an understanding of how to conduct business, but they also must deal with several other factors that are present in the international arena.
5. Managerial Functions in the International Organization
Every manager focuses on five different aspects of management. These aspects are common knowledge and when used together, they help to create an effective manager. This lesson will address those areas and integrate them into international business.
6. Human Resource Issues in International Business
From a business perspective, national boarders are disappearing, giving way to free trade agreements and open economies. In this lesson, we'll talk about how that presents new opportunities and challenges for human resource managers.
7. Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions Theory
Dimensions of culture are an important aspect of international business. Knowing how cultures view different aspects of business can help a manager navigate through the international business market.
8. Cross-Cultural Communication: Definition, Strategies & Examples
Cross-cultural communication is imperative for companies that have a diverse workforce and participate in the global economy. It is important for employees to understand the factors that are part of an effective, diverse workforce.
9. Developing Intercultural Competence in Business
How do you learn to work with your international partner who seems to do things so differently than you? This lesson will explain how intercultural competence can help your international business be successful.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 320: Advanced International Business course
- Globalization & International Business
- Understanding Global Economic Environments
- World Trade Organization
- Entering the Global Marketplace
- Regional Integration
- International Trade Theory & Policy
- Global Money System
- Exchange Rate Determination & Forecasting
- Factors of Economic Growth & Development
- Foreign Direct Investments
- Balance of Payments
- International Business Strategy
- Crisis Management & International Business
- International Business Ethics