About This Chapter
Oscillation & Simple Harmonic Motion - Chapter Summary
Watching the video lessons in this chapter will help you brush up on your knowledge of simple harmonic motion (SMH) and related formulas. You will get information on Hooke's law and the spring constant, and learn about kinetic and potential energy.
In other lessons, our instructors explain spring-block systems of oscillation, and they help you with equations involving pendulums in physics. By the time you've completed this chapter's lessons, you should be prepared to:
- Define SHM and its formulas
- Explain Hooke's law and equations involving the spring constant
- Describe kinetic and potential energy
- Understand vertical motion, frequency and mass as related to spring-block oscillation
- Solve equations involving pendulums in physics
These lessons are short and entertaining, and they're developed by expert instructors who understand what information is required. The quizzes at the end of every video offer a chance to practice answering test questions in this format, and they also let you assess your knowledge. If you need additional review, embedded video tags make it simple to return to the right spot in a lesson.
1. Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM): Definition, Formulas & Examples
After watching this video, you should be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the features of the motion, and use equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems, particularly for a mass on a spring. A short quiz will follow.
2. Simple Harmonic Motion: Kinetic Energy & Potential Energy
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the energy interplay involved in various situations, and use energy equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems. A short quiz will follow.
3. The Kinematics of Simple Harmonic Motion
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, and use the kinematics equations for simple harmonic motion (both conceptually and numerically) to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
4. Spring-Block Oscillator: Vertical Motion, Frequency & Mass
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how a spring-block oscillator is an example of simple harmonic motion. You will also be able to use an equation for a spring-block oscillator that relates the frequency and mass of the block.
5. Pendulums in Physics: Definition & Equations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what a pendulum is, why it is an example of simple harmonic motion, and use equations to solve pendulum problems. A short quiz will follow.
6. Damped Oscillations, Forced Oscillations & Resonance
How can you tell if the oscillations of an object like a pendulum are damped or forced? How does resonance occur in oscillating systems? In this lesson, learn the answers to these questions and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Physics (019): Practice & Study Guide course
- Process of Scientific Inquiry
- Scientific Measurement Basics
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- History & Nature of Scientific Study
- Math for Physics
- Overview of Kinematics & Graphs
- Kinematics & Graphs
- Laws of Motion in Physics
- Forces in Physics
- Laws of Gravitation
- Linear Momentum in Physics
- Equilibrium and Elasticity
- Rotational Motion
- Electrostatics in Physics
- Overview of Circuits
- Overview of Magnetism in Physics
- Overview of Waves & Sound
- Overview of the Physics of Light
- Wave Optics in Physics
- Work & Energy in Physics
- Fluids in Physics
- Thermodynamics in Physics Overview
- Modern & Nuclear Physics
- MTTC Physics Flashcards