About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Oscillations chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Simple harmonic motion (SHM)||Understanding the meaning of simple harmonic motion, measuring the time displacement, velocity and acceleration of an object undergoing SHM|
|Tuesday||Hooke's law and the spring constant||Defining Hooke's law, measuring the spring constant|
|Wednesday||Kinetic and potential energy and the kinematics of simple harmonic motion||Analyzing the relationship between the kinetic and potential energy of a simple harmonic oscillator, explaining the kinematics of SHM|
|Thursday||Spring-block oscillator||Examining what determines the frequency of oscillation|
|Friday||Sinusoidal description of simple harmonic motion and pendulums in physics||Discussing SHM's sinusoidal description, applying the expression for the period of a simple pendulum and determining that approximation must be made in deriving the period|
1. Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM): Definition, Formulas & Examples
After watching this video, you should be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the features of the motion, and use equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems, particularly for a mass on a spring. A short quiz will follow.
2. Hooke's Law & the Spring Constant: Definition & Equation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what Hooke's Law is and use the equation for Hooke's Law to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
3. Simple Harmonic Motion: Kinetic Energy & Potential Energy
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the energy interplay involved in various situations, and use energy equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems. A short quiz will follow.
4. The Kinematics of Simple Harmonic Motion
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, and use the kinematics equations for simple harmonic motion (both conceptually and numerically) to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
5. Spring-Block Oscillator: Vertical Motion, Frequency & Mass
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how a spring-block oscillator is an example of simple harmonic motion. You will also be able to use an equation for a spring-block oscillator that relates the frequency and mass of the block.
6. The Sinusoidal Description of Simple Harmonic Motion
Watch this video to learn about simple harmonic motion. Learn the sinusoidal equations we use to solve problems of simple harmonic motion, and test your knowledge afterwards with a short quiz.
7. Pendulums in Physics: Definition & Equations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what a pendulum is, why it is an example of simple harmonic motion, and use equations to solve pendulum problems. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Physics Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Physics Lesson Plans
- Vectors in Physics Lesson Plans
- Kinematics Lesson Plans
- Newton's Laws in Physics Lesson Plans
- Work, Energy & Power Lesson Plans
- Linear Momentum Lesson Plans
- Rotational Motion Lesson Plans
- Circular Motion & Gravitation Lesson Plans
- Electrical Forces & Fields Lesson Plans
- Potential & Capacitance in Physics Lesson Plans
- Direct Current Circuits Lesson Plans
- Magnetism in Physics Lesson Plans
- Waves, Sound & Light Lesson Plans
- Atomic & Nuclear Physics Lesson Plans
- Fluid Mechanics Lesson Plans
- Thermal Physics & Thermodynamics Lesson Plans
- The Universe Lesson Plans
- Relativity & Quantum Theory Lesson Plans
- Motion - Physics Lab Lesson Plans
- Matter & Light - Physics Lab Lesson Plans
- Electricity - Physics Lab Lesson Plans