About This Chapter
Osteoporosis - Chapter Summary
This chapter fleshes out various aspects of osteoporosis. Through simple-to-follow lessons, you'll review the typical prognosis of the condition, the symptoms that usually accompany it, as well as how an awareness of it can aid those who may be at risk. You'll also look at related conditions and examine how they can differ from osteoporosis. By the time you finish the chapter, you'll have bolstered your comprehension of:
- How osteoporosis is diagnosed
- Signs of osteoporosis
- Risk factors for osteoporosis and ways to prevent it
- How to differentiate between osteoporosis and osteopenia
- The distinguishing traits of osteoarthritis
- What sets osteomalacia apart from osteoporosis
1. Osteoporosis: Diagnosis & Prognosis
Some disorders are able to hide from us until they give us a very painful sign, like a fracture. This includes osteoporosis. Find out how this disorder is diagnosed other than through fractures and what its prognosis is.
2. Symptoms of Osteoporosis
This lesson will teach you about the word-part definition of osteoporosis before quickly moving on to describing and defining the various signs and symptoms associated with this condition and why they occur.
3. Osteoporosis: Risk Factors & Prevention
Osteoporosis poses a big risk to a person's quality and even quantity of life. It turns out that there are also many risk factors for this disorder. This lesson tells you what they are and which ones can and cannot be controlled.
4. Osteoporosis vs. Osteopenia
You may have heard of osteoporosis many times, but not know what it is. We are going to go over the basics of this condition and compare it to osteopenia to see how these two are similar and different.
5. Osteoporosis vs. Osteoarthritis
You hear the names of different bone conditions and diseases all the time. We are going to get a clear understanding of the similarities and differences between two of the most common bone diseases. We will discuss osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
6. Osteoporosis vs. Osteomalacia
It's easy to be confused by two conditions that have similar features. This lesson briefly teaches you about osteoporosis and osteomalacia, explaining the major difference between the two conditions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Disease & Heart Failure
- Understanding Strokes
- Preventing & Treating Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Types & Complications
- Blood Clot Sites
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Pneumonia & Pneumothorax
- Conditions of the Lungs
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Understanding & Treating Heartburn
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests