About This Chapter
Outdoor, Adventure & Cooperative Physical Education - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to guide your review of leading outdoor, adventure, and cooperative activities for students of all abilities. As you work through these concepts, our experienced instructors explain the benefits of these activities and the planning involved in successfully implementing them into a P.E. classroom. By the time you have completed the chapter, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between cooperative and group sports
- Plan and facilitate cooperative games and group challenges
- Organize recreational activities
- Plan, implement and modify outdoor activities for all students
- Describe the benefits of adventure learning
- Plan and implement safe adventure learning activities
The lessons in this chapter are presented through brief, engaging lessons designed to enhance your knowledge of outdoor and cooperative P.E. class activities. In order to make the most of this chapter, use the lesson transcripts and timeline feature of the video player to review main ideas. Also, be sure to take each quiz to self-assess your level of understanding.
1. Differences Between Cooperative & Group Sports
This lesson will distinguish cooperative sports from group sports. Examples of cooperative and group sport activities will be provided for different age levels.
2. Cooperative Games & Group Challenges
Learn how to set up cooperative games and activities in a way that sets you and your group up for success. This lesson covers rules, safety practices, equipment, and more.
3. Recreational Activities in Physical Education
If you are a physical education teacher, then recreation is a big part of your responsibilities. This lesson discusses some of the norms and procedures related to recreational activities in physical education.
4. How to Expose Students to Outdoor Activities
Outdoor recreation and activities offer a unique learning environment for students to learn about themselves and to form stronger social ties with their classmates. This lesson goes over methods to introduce children to these activities.
5. Modifying Outdoor Pursuits for All Students
If you are interested in helping students learn about nature and enjoy their time outside, then you have probably thought about how to make the outdoors accessible to all students. This lesson discusses some modifications you might make when taking your students outside.
6. Adventure Learning: Definition & Benefits
Adventure learning is a great way to engage and challenge your physical education students. In this lesson, you'll learn about adventure learning and find out how to integrate these activities into your physical education curriculum.
7. Adventure Activities: Planning & Safety
In this lesson, you will review how to plan an adventure activity and prepare for safety. You will learn about the necessary equipment to take along on your adventure. We will also discuss the issues of permits and insurance, and you will learn about crucial first aid tips.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health & Physical Education (615): Practice & Study Guide course
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Relationships & Communication
- Types & Stages of Human Development
- Human Body Organs & Systems
- Sexual Health
- Diet, Nutrition & Health Problems
- Drugs & Substance Abuse
- Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Basics of Physical Education
- Overview of the Major Muscle Groups of the Human Body
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Exercise Physiology & Fitness for Physical Education
- Motor Skill Development
- Sports, Physical Activity & Fitness
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- Volleyball History & Rules
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Dance Concepts & Forms
- Creating Fitness & Exercise Plans
- Health & Physical Education Classroom Management
- Motivation in the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication & Collaboration in Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum & Assessments
- Physical Education Planning & Instruction
- Equitable Physical Education for Diverse Students
- Professionalism for Health & Physical Education Teachers
- GACE Health & Physical Education Flashcards