About This Chapter
Outdoor Safety Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
This online teacher resource chapter offers you simple and comprehensive lesson plan outlines on a variety of outdoor safety concepts. Access the lesson plan outlines to craft lessons about:
- School bus, bike and car safety
- Traffic and pedestrian safety
- Playground safety
- Water, pool and sun safety
- Fireworks safety
- Trick or treating safety
- Survival skills
The chapter also includes fun related lessons that are geared toward young students. You can incorporate these lessons into your class instruction, as well as the accompanying games and activities. For your convenience, we've made these resources available at any time and accessible on any Internet-connected device.
How It Helps
- Makes lesson planning convenient: The chapter's lesson plan outlines allow you to plan outdoor safety lessons at any time that fits your schedule.
- Engages students: The fun classroom activities are designed to help your students have fun while learning about critical safety rules.
- Supplements classroom instruction: The chapter offers a variety of lesson supplements that be easily integrated into your safety curriculum.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning outdoor safety lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific outdoor safety topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your outdoor safety class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related outdoor safety lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important outdoor safety concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant outdoor safety-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Car Safety Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, students will learn about car safety. This lesson plan involves students demonstrating understanding through listening, writing and speaking. Students will engage in discussion and completion of a performance task.
2. Traffic Safety Lesson Plan
This lesson plan offers your students the opportunity to discuss road safety when walking or riding a bike as well as enjoy hands-on activities to practice what they have learned.
3. Road Sign Games
Road signs are a common part of life. You can help your students learn to identify and understand the meaning of road signs by utilizing these activities and games that teach the purpose of the signs.
4. School Bus Safety Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help your students understand school bus safety. Students will read or listen to an article, then act out several examples of acceptable and unacceptable bus behavior.
5. School Bus Safety for Kids: Rules & Tips
Riding a school bus is something many students do every day. In this lesson, learn how you can make sure you are safe from the time you get on the bus to the time you get off every day.
6. Bike Safety Lesson Plan
Teach your students how to be safe on their bikes with this lesson plan. This plan features a text lesson to be used as a shared reading that highlights safety measures for biking and a number of discussion questions to evaluate understanding. To conclude, have students show what they know with a fun activity.
7. Bike Safety Lesson for Kids: Rules & Tips
A great way to get exercise and enjoy the outdoors is by taking a bike ride! In this lesson, learn how to ride safely by choosing a good place to ride, taking precautions, and being aware of surroundings.
8. Pedestrian Safety Lesson Plan
What steps can be taken to ensure the safety of pedestrians? This lesson plan will help you teach students the essential elements of pedestrian safety before an activity tests their knowledge and understanding.
9. Trick or Treating Safety Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn how to trick or treat safely. After a discussion about the dos and don'ts of trick or treating, students will work together to create a public service announcement about a trick or treating safety tip.
10. Sun Safety Lesson Plan
Make sure your students know how to safely have fun in the sun all year round. Use this lesson plan to teach your students about sun safety with the help of a short article, engaging discussion questions, and a creative hands-on activity.
11. Sun Safety Lesson for Kids: Tips & Facts
Our planet couldn't survive without the sun, but sometimes it can be harmful to us. In this lesson, learn about ways to stay safe in the sun and enjoy the rays!
12. Playground Safety Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to introduce the idea of playground safety to your students. Students will listen to an article, discuss strategies for staying safe on the playground with peers, and put these ideas into practice.
13. Playground Safety: Lesson for Kids
Going to the playground is one of the highlights of the school day! In this lesson, learn how to avoid injuries by playing safely and nicely with your friends.
14. Survival Skills Lesson Plan for Kids
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about basic survival skills. A text lesson explains what they can do if lost in the wilderness and students make a plan to keep themselves safe.
15. Outdoor & Wilderness Survival Skills: Lesson for Kids
Everyone should have a basic understanding of how to survive alone for a short time in the woods. Would you know what to do if you were lost in the wilderness? Learn more about outdoor and wilderness survival skills in this lesson.
16. Water Safety Lesson Plan
Teach your students about safety in the water using this lesson plan. Students define water safety, learn some water-safety guidelines and advice, then create a plan for safe water experiences.
17. Water & Recreational Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
We all love to have fun, but that fun may come at a cost unless you are safe about recreation, namely water activities like boating and swimming. This lesson will show you why and what you can do to protect yourself.
18. Pool Safety Lesson Plan
It is very unfortunate each time we hear about anyone drowning, especially when it is a child. Your students will learn pool safety tips as they read the tips and then create a flip book to share with their families.
19. Fireworks Safety Lesson Plan
Fireworks are entertaining during celebrations, but they present a danger from the time they are made. Your students will learn about fireworks safety as they read a lesson, create posters, and act as OSHA inspectors.
20. Fire Triangle Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will read a text based lesson and assess their knowledge with a quiz. They will also demonstrate their understanding of the fire triangle through a physically active game and an extension writing assignment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.