About This Chapter
Outside Influences on Health - Chapter Summary
While going through these lessons, you can deepen your understanding of outside influences on health. Some of the topics covered include the long-term effects of alcohol consumption and historical information about viruses. This chapter can also help you understand how use of tobacco affects breathing. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- Discuss the negative health effects of tobacco use
- List the effects of long-term chronic marijuana exposure
- Recall the physiological effects of alcohol
- Explain the mental health benefits of regular physical exercise
- Discuss characteristics of bacteria
- Detail the structure of viruses
- Recount ways to improve your body's defense system
Our online platform makes learning flexible, and the lessons can help you quickly get up to speed on outside influences on health. Key words are highlighted in bold so that you can easily review important concepts. Additionally, you can use the Help feature to submit questions to instructors if you get stuck on a topic.
1. Tobacco Use & Health
Tobacco contains an addictive chemical called nicotine. Nicotine is why it is so hard to stop using tobacco once you start. Learn how smoking or chewing tobacco causes diseases, affects your breathing and even causes bad breath and yellow teeth.
2. Chronic Long-Term Effects of Marijuana Use
In this lesson, we will learn about the long term effects of chronic marijuana use. We will learn how long-term chronic marijuana exposure effects on an individual's physical and non-physical well-being.
3. The Effects of Alcohol: Physiological, Behavioral & Long-Term
If you've ever wondered why men seem to tolerate alcohol better than women or what alcohol does to the body and mind, then tune into this lesson for more information.
4. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
5. What is Bacteria? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
This lesson will introduce the Bacteria, a large and diverse group of microorganisms. We will examine several key characteristics, as well as a few commonly known examples of bacterial species.
6. What Are Viruses? - Definition, Structure & Function
In this lesson, you'll learn some historical facts about viruses and the material they are composed of. Find out more as we review the capsid, nucleic acids, the viral envelope, viruses, virions, bacteriophages and virology.
7. Techniques Used to Promote the Body's Defenses
Are you a superhuman? I'm willing to bet that you are. That's because you've likely used at least one technique to promote your body's defense systems. Find out more in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Cells & Organization
- Overview of Nutrition
- Human Gas Exchange Systems
- Human Reproduction Overview
- Reproduction in Plants
- Overview of Photosynthesis
- Overview of Cellular Respiration
- Relationships in an Ecosystem
- Variation & Classification
- The Particulate Nature of Matter
- Atoms, Elements & Compounds Basics
- Pure & Impure Substances
- Chemical Reaction Basics
- Overview of Acids & Bases
- Energy Resources & Conservation
- Describing Motion
- Force, Rotation, Pressure & Density
- Sound Waves & Hearing
- Light Waves & Properties
- Basics of Circuits
- Magnetism & Electromagnets
- Physics of Space
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ Science Flashcards