About This Chapter
Overview of Algebraic Equations - Chapter Summary
Here, you will be presented with an overview of algebraic equations. Look at information about word problems with multi-step algebra equations, the process of solving equations that contain parentheses, and the steps necessary to find the volume of spheres, cones, and cylinders. See other information on algebraic equations, such as:
- Linear, polynomial, quadratic and more common algebraic equations
- Definition, translation, and solutions for one-step equations
- Use of the multiplication principle to solve equations
- The collection of like terms on one side of the equation
- Solutions for equations that have infinite or no solutions
- Word problems with one-step algebra equations
- Use of the midpoint formula
- Finding the perimeter of rectangles and triangles
- Circumference and area of circles
These video lessons average 5-10 minutes in run time. Lessons are hosted by Study.com instructors, and each has its own quiz to test your understanding of the material. We include a video transcript and keyword-based timeline tool as study aids.
1. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
2. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
3. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
4. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
5. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
6. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
7. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
8. Solving Equations with Infinite Solutions or No Solutions
In algebra, there are two scenarios that give us interesting results. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can distinguish problems that have no answers and problems that have an infinite number of answers.
9. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
10. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
11. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
12. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
13. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
14. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
15. Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres
In this lesson, we'll learn about the volume formulas for cylinders, cones and spheres. We'll also practice using the formula in a variety of real-world examples where knowing how to calculate volume is helpful.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra I: Test Prep & Practice course
- Working with Polynomials
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences
- Understanding Square Roots
- Exponential Expression Math
- Basics of Solving Word Problems
- Understanding Coordinate Graphs
- Understanding Linear Equations
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Linear Functions & Equations
- Exponential Functions
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Algebraic Distribution
- Overview of Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Quadratic Equations
- Using a Graphing Calculator
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra I Flashcards