About This Chapter
Overview of Algebraic Expressions & Equations - Chapter Summary
Gain greater insight into the basics of algebraic expressions and equations using our entertaining lessons. In the lessons, expert instructors discuss how to simplify, write and solve algebraic expressions. Access the lessons as entertaining videos that average 8 minutes each or written transcripts you can print or read online. When you're ready, check your knowledge of the lessons' contents by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam. Questions you develop while examining the lessons can be submitted to our experts via the Dashboard. By the end of this chapter, you will be ready to do the following:
- Define and share examples of the order of operations in math
- Describe and evaluate math formulas
- Simplify addition, subtraction, multiplication and division expressions
- Write and solve addition, subtraction, multiplication and division equations with one variable
1. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
2. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
3. How to Simplify an Addition Expression
Learn how to simplify and combine like terms in any algebraic expression that uses addition with this lesson. Also learn how to follow the order of operations when simplifying your expression.
4. How to Simplify a Subtraction Expression
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify any subtraction expression by combining like terms. Learn what to look for and how easy this is to do.
5. How to Simplify a Multiplication Expression
In this video lesson, you will learn how to simplify a multiplication expression that has both numbers and variables in it. Learn what you need to watch for and how to write your simplified expression.
6. How to Simplify a Division Expression
Watch this video lesson to learn how to simplify a division problem that has both numbers and letters in it. See what you need to do to get the correct answer. Also, learn what you can do to make your job easier.
7. Writing & Solving Addition Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to properly write an addition equation and how to solve any addition equation that you come across. Learn what the steps are to solve these equations that have one variable in them.
8. Writing & Solving Subtraction Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know what is needed in order to write a subtraction equation. You will also know how to solve any subtraction equation that you are given or that you write.
9. Writing & Solving Multiplication Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know the components that go into a complete multiplication equation. You will also learn the steps that are needed to solve a multiplication equation.
10. Writing & Solving Division Equations with One Variable
In this video lesson, you will learn the proper format of a division equation. Learn what components are needed for a complete division equation. Also learn what steps you need to take to solve these division equations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Math for Liberal Arts: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Real Numbers Basics
- Percents, Fractions & Decimals
- Systems of Numeration
- Number Rules & Properties
- Understanding Mathematical Sets
- Overview of Logic in Math
- Metric System, Conversions & Geometry
- Graphing Linear Equations
- Linear Systems & Inequalities
- Operations with Functions
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Financial Literacy Overview
- Proportions & Counting
- Probability Theory & Statistics
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Math for Liberal Arts Flashcards