About This Chapter
Overview of Atmosphere, Weather & Climate - Chapter Summary
For an overview of atmosphere, weather and climate concepts, check out this comprehensive science chapter. The chapter consists of short video lessons that discuss weather types, climate distributions, weather prediction methods, atmospheric components and much more. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Outline the atmosphere's major components and structure
- Differentiate between weather and climate
- Compare types of weather
- Recognize tools that are used to predict weather
- Identify climate classifications
- Recognize the global distribution of climates
- Evaluate past climates and the current climate change
When you're finished with each lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to help retain the information. You can print the lesson transcripts for offline reference, and you'll be able to review the chapter's resources whenever you have free time in your schedule. The chapter also includes a progress-tracking dashboard and a convenient Ask the Expert feature that you can use if you have any questions about atmosphere, weather and climate.
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
4. Weather: Definition & Types
Talk about weather is everywhere: on the news, in the papers, and in almost every conversation. What causes it all, though? In this lesson, we will define weather, take a look at the different types, and learn what causes weather changes to take place.
5. Predicting the Weather: Tools, Maps & Symbols
How do weather forecasters predict the weather? What tools do you use? When you look at a weather map, what all the symbols mean? Learn about predicting and mapping the weather, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
7. Past Climates & Climate Change
Climate change is a big topic nowadays, but why? In this lesson, we are going to explore the changing climate throughout Earth's history and see why the current change is such a big deal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Middle Grades General Science (204): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Scientific Inquiry
- Historical Development of Scientific Laws & Theories
- Overview of Science & Society
- Intro to Matter
- Atomic Structure in Chemistry Basics
- Trends of the Periodic Table
- Nuclear Processes
- Intro to Chemical Bonds
- Overview of Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- Equilibrium in Chemistry Basics
- Reaction Rates in Chemistry
- Energy Forms and Transformations
- Electricity & Magnetism Basics
- Force, Mass & Motion
- Overview of Waves, Sound & Light
- Cell Characteristics, Organization & Processes
- Organism Classification & Phylogenesis Basics
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Basic Genetic Principles
- Intro to the Origin & History of Life On Earth
- Biomes & Ecosystems
- Understanding Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- Time & Dating in Geology
- The Lithosphere
- Rocks & Minerals
- Weathering, Erosion & Wasting Basics
- Geological Forms
- Hydrosphere Properties & Characteristics
- Intro to the Solar System & the Universe
- NES Middle Grades General Science Flashcards