About This Chapter
Overview of Autism Spectrum Disorders - Chapter Summary
This chapter outlines the causes, signs, symptoms and treatments for autism spectrum disorders. These resources can help teachers better understand how autism is diagnosed and how to effectively manage and work with students who have ASD. The chapter's resources can be quickly accessed using the convenient course Dashboard. You can use any computer, tablet or smartphone to study the chapter material.
How It Helps
- Improves classroom management skills: You'll be able to effectively manage, support and work with students who have ASDs.
- Builds awareness: These lessons can help you better recognize the early signs of autism spectrum disorder.
- Supports student success: Working with and accommodating students with ASD can help ensure their success in the classroom.
After finishing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify symptoms and treatments for several autism spectrum disorders
- Recognize the symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome in children and know how the disorder is treated
- Know how to manage autism
- Detect early signs of autism and understand the diagnosis process
- Work with students who have ASD
- Understand evidence-based practice for autism
1. What Is Autism? - Spectrum, Symptoms & Treatment
Studying Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs) can help you understand how this disorder can be manifested on a spectrum. Explore Autism Spectrum Disorders in this lesson and test your understanding with a quiz.
2. What Is Asperger's Syndrome in Children? - Symptoms, Definition & Treatment
Learn about the common symptoms exhibited by individuals diagnosed with the autism spectrum disorder called Asperger's syndrome. Test your new knowledge with a quiz.
3. Autism: Causes, Signs, and Management
In this lesson, we'll go over a well-known neurodevelopmental condition called autism, its symptoms, and possible treatments. We'll also discuss a huge controversy that erupted regarding autism and its link to vaccines and whether that link is valid or not.
4. Screening & Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders
Pediatricians begin screening for developmental disorders like autism spectrum disorders (ASD) as early as a child's 9-month well visit. Learn about ASD and various screening and diagnosis methods in this lesson.
5. Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
This lesson will highlight issues that are relevant to teachers of students with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), including causes, diagnosis, education and transition into adulthood. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
6. Evidence-Based Practice for Autism
In this lesson, you will learn about autism and signs and symptoms associated with it. We will also discuss different scientifically-proven methods that have been shown to help children with autism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders course
- Common Behaviors & Comorbidities of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Behavioral Interventions for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Classroom Interventions for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Developing Communication & Social Skills of Students with Autism
- Building Self-Management Skills of Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Supporting Students with Autism Outside the Classroom