About This Chapter
Overview of Basic Trigonometry - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll study an overview of basic trigonometry. Our brief but informative lessons cover topics including direction cosines and ratios, as well as the calculations used to find them. You'll also look at problems that involve trig identities and circle equations. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Use the laws of cosines and sines to solve real-world problems
- Find the equation of a circle
- Verify a trigonometric equation identity
- Apply the difference and sum identities
- Derive and prove trigonometric identities
Our flexible materials are a great way to work through especially challenging trig concepts because you can take your time and work at your own pace. To go back and review just one part of a video lesson over again, use the video tabs feature in the Timeline. After completing the lessons, you can test your knowledge using the multiple-choice quizzes to ensure you're ready to move on.
1. Solving Real World Problems Using the Law of Cosines
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of cosines to solve real-world problems. Learn what kinds of real-world problems the law of cosines can help you solve.
2. Solving Real World Problems Using the Law of Sines
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of sines to solve problems that you will encounter in the real world. Learn what kind of shape you need in order to solve your real world problems.
3. How to Find the Equation of a Circle
There are two commonly used forms of equations for a circle, in this lesson we'll take a few minutes to examine and understand both forms, and be able to convert from one to the other.
4. Verifying a Trigonometric Equation Identity
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use your basic definitions and identities to help you prove a trigonometric equation identity. Learn what is involved and what to do for a successful answer.
5. Applying the Sum & Difference Identities
Watch this video lesson to learn the six sum and difference identities for the trig functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. Also, learn how you can use them to your advantage when solving tough trig problems.
6. How to Prove & Derive Trigonometric Identities
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how some of our trigonometric identities are derived. You will also see how some identities naturally lead to the others.
7. Direction Cosines & Ratios: Definition & Calculations
Direction cosines and ratios are a way to represent the direction of a 3D vector. In this lesson, learn how to calculate and understand direction cosines and ratios.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MHT-CET: Practice & Study Guide course
- Circular Motion & Gravitation
- Understanding Oscillations
- Understanding Rotational Motion
- Equilibrium & Elasticity
- Electric Force & Charge
- Current Electricity
- Using Electricity in Engineering
- Electromagnetic Induction & Magnetism
- Wave Motion
- Understanding Sound Waves
- Light Waves
- Kinetic Theory of Gasses & Radiation
- Atoms, Molecules & Nuclei in Physics
- Surface Tension & Energy
- Matter, Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding
- D-Block Elements, Halogens, Noble Gases & Alcohols
- Basic Measurement in Chemistry
- Understanding Chemical Solutions
- Chemical Reactions & Kinetics
- Concepts of Organic Chemistry
- Crystallization & Hydrogenation
- Applications of Chemistry in Everyday Life
- Variance, Probability & Distributions
- Geometry & 3D Shapes
- Function Operations, Limits & Properties
- Exponents & Logarithms
- Linear Systems
- Vectors in Math
- Introduction to Matrices
- Calculation of Derivatives
- Applications of Derivatives in Calculus
- Integrals & Definite Integrals
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Logic & Algebra
- Plant Reproduction & Growth
- Plant Respiration & Photosynthesis
- DNA, Mendelian Genetics & Inheritance
- Introduction to Genetic Engineering
- Characteristics of Birds & Mammals
- Human Anatomy: Neurology and Endocrinology
- Human Anatomy: Cardiology, Nephrology and Immunology
- Reproduction & Contraception
- Human Disease & Diagnostic Technology
- Origins of Life
- Concepts in Pharmacology
- Concepts in Ecology
- MHT-CET Flashcards