About This Chapter
Overview of Cardiovascular Diseases - Chapter Summary
Throughout these lessons, our instructors introduce heart-related conditions and diseases and explain the factors that influence these cardiovascular issues. You'll also discover the main types of cardiovascular diseases and how age-related conditions can impact the heart. In addition, these lessons will cover types of heart diseases and their effects.
You'll gain an understanding of the different types of cardiovascular diseases that can affect human beings, along with examples. As you make your way through the chapter, you'll learn about how doctors diagnose and treat cardiovascular illnesses. Once you've completed the lessons, you should be able to:
- Identify common heart diseases and conditions
- Explain how age can affect cardiovascular health
- Understand the risk factors associated with cardiovascular diseases
- Explain preventive strategies that can protect against cardiovascular diseases
- Provide examples and definitions of common cardiovascular diseases
- Discuss how cardiovascular diseases are diagnosed and treated
Lessons feature a brief, engaging video or text taught by a professional instructor who is expert in the field. If you need to revisit a key concept, use the video tags to jump to a certain spot without having to re-watch the whole video. Or, refer to our lesson transcripts. Once you've finished a lesson, use the accompanying quiz as a self-assessment to gauge your comprehension of the subject matter.
1. Types of Heart Conditions and Diseases
Your heart muscle receives a rich blood supply from the coronary arteries. If the coronary arteries become blocked, it can result in coronary heart disease, angina, heart attack or congestive heart failure. Learn how these conditions get started.
2. Age-Related Changes to the Cardiovascular System: Types & Effects
The heart is one of those organs that's really difficult to live without since it is responsible for moving blood throughout your body. In this lesson, we'll explore some of the issues that can happen to the heart and the cardiovascular system.
3. Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors & Preventative Strategies
This lesson will describe for you the numerous controllable and uncontrollable risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease as well as important preventative strategies to maximize your health.
4. Different Kinds of Cardiovascular Disease: Definitions & Examples
So many problems can occur in the cardiovascular system of your body. Some of them mainly involve the heart and others the blood vessels, but one big one involves both at the same time!
5. Diagnosing and Treating Cardiovascular Disease
This lesson will describe the many different ways cardiovascular diseases can be diagnosed and treated. For example, you'll learn the differences between angioplasty and angiography.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Biology (017): Practice & Study Guide course
- Conducting Scientific Research: Principles and Procedures
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- Scientific Measurements
- The History and Nature of Science
- Interdisciplinary Relationships in Science
- Cell Biology
- Overview of Cell Division
- Structure and Function of Macromolecules
- How Enzymes Work
- Basics of Metabolic Biochemistry
- Biology of Genetics
- Process of DNA Replication
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Basics of Gene Mutations
- DNA Technology and Genomics
- Population Genetics and Hardy-Weinberg Equations
- Overview of Evolution
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth
- Organism Classification & Phylogenesis
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Common Human Disorders
- Populations and Biological Communities
- Ecosystems and Biomes
- Biochemical Cycles
- Human Activity and the Biosphere
- Resource Use and Management by Humans
- MTTC Biology Flashcards