About This Chapter
Overview of Career Counseling - Chapter Summary
As you go through these lessons on career counseling, you can get a better understanding of how a person can leverage their talents in a new way. Experienced instructors explain what's involved when counseling in business and industry. They also discuss what's necessary to make the most of a career fair. By the end of the chapter, you should be ready to:
- Explain what's involved in career counseling
- Provide an overview of theories for career development
- Recall considerations when counseling diverse populations
- List different types of career assessments
- Discuss various tools used for online career research
- Explain how to benefit from a career fair
- Detail how to determine if a field of interest is a good match
- Recount what's involved in changing careers
Our instructors provide examples to help you better understand what's involved in career counseling. Each video lesson includes a brief quiz to assess how much of the content and details you can recall. You can optimize the use of this resource by printing the quiz in worksheet form in order to study offline.
1. The Career Counseling Process
Career counseling helps individuals discover their career path. In this lesson, you will learn about credentialing, the counseling process, the role of the career counselor, and the purpose of a career center.
2. Career Development Theories
Career theories help us work with others in making career decisions. This lesson will tell you about the most popular theories of career decision making.
3. Career Counseling with Diverse Populations
How can a career counselor work with many different people with unique needs? In this lesson, we'll look at career counseling with diverse populations, including two major approaches to diversity and key points for working with diverse groups.
4. Counseling in Business and Industry
Counselors can provide valuable resources to business and industry. This lesson explains how those resources can help the employer and the employee by helping employees be better workers.
5. Career Assessments: Types & Benefits
There are many career choices out there. How do you decide which one is right for you? In this lesson, we'll examine the different types of career assessments and how they can help you choose the best career.
6. Online Career Research Tools
How do you figure out what career is right for you? And, once you know, how do you find out more about that career? In this lesson, we'll look at some types of online career research tools that allow people to find out more about different careers.
7. How to Make the Most of a Career Fair
A career fair is a great opportunity to meet with companies looking to hire. But, how do you make the most of it and stick out from the crowd of other job seekers? Watch this lesson to discover tips for preparing for and attending job fairs.
8. How to Find Out if Your Field of Interest is a Match for You
How can you know if the career you've chosen is the right one for you? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to explore careers and areas of interest, including through informational interviews, job shadowing, and internships.
9. Changing Careers: Using Your Talents in a New Way
Changing careers can be an exciting, but overwhelming, prospect. In this lesson, we'll examine how to make a smooth career change, including researching career prospects, identifying transferable skills, and networking.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Fundamentals of Counseling: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- The History of Counseling and Psychotherapy
- The Professional Counselor
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling
- Human Growth & Development in Childhood
- Human Growth & Development in Adolescence
- Human Growth & Development in Adulthood
- Psychodynamic Theories & Approaches
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapies
- Behavioral, Humanistic & Experiential Approaches to Counseling
- Systems Theories in Psychology
- Social & Cultural Aspects of Counseling
- The Counseling Process
- School Counseling
- Marriage and Family Counseling
- Group Counseling
- Decision Making Skills, Processes & Models
- Understanding Measurements in Research
- DSST Fundamentals of Counseling Flashcards