About This Chapter
Overview of Concepts in Algebra - Chapter Summary
This engaging chapter provides an overview of concepts in algebra in bite-sized video lessons you can access at any time. Some of the subjects our experts cover here include linear equations and the process of solving them using substitution and graphing. After you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Complete practice problems involving linear equations
- Write an augmented matrix for a linear system
- Answer problems involving linear inequalities
- Solve an absolute value equation
- Graph an absolute value inequality
- Solve one-step and multi-step algebraic equations in word problems
- Practice your understanding of conic sections
You don't need to stress about reviewing these concepts, as this chapter is designed to boost your confidence as you learn. Our video lessons are less than ten minutes long, coupled with self-assessment quizzes, and created by instructors who know how to effectively present this material. You're welcome to contact one of them with any questions that come up as you move through the chapter.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
3. Solving Linear Equations With Substitution
Solving for the unknowns in a set of linear equations is a common task in math, science and engineering. In this lesson, we look at the substitution method as a systematic approach to finding the unknown values.
4. How to Solve Linear Equations By Graphing
This lesson will give a quick review of systems of linear equations and their solutions. We will then look at taking an example through a step-by-step process that allows us to solve a system of linear equations by graphing.
5. How to Write an Augmented Matrix for a Linear System
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can turn your system of equations into matrix form. The matrix form is another way of writing your linear system that is sometimes easier to work with.
6. Linear Inequality: Solving, Graphing & Problems
If you can solve linear equations, you can solve linear inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn how similar the solving processes are. You will also learn the notations you need to use when graphing linear inequalities.
7. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
8. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
9. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
10. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
11. Practice with the Conic Sections
Conic sections are shapes created by cutting through a 3D cone. In this lesson, learn how to identify each conic section from its graph and characteristic equation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) (197-200, 305): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Literacy
- Language Features & Acquisition
- Selecting Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Developing Emergent Literacy Skills
- Literacy Assessment & Differentiation
- Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Decoding & Fluency Teaching Strategies
- Language & Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary Acquisition & Use
- Reading Comprehension Instructional Strategies
- Analyzing Literary & Informational Texts
- Instructional Strategies for Literary & Text Analysis
- English Grammar Writing Conventions
- Writing Instruction & Feedback
- Instructional Strategies for Different Types of Writing
- Strategies for Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Teaching Counting, Cardinality, Numbers & Operations
- Fraction Operations
- Teaching Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Principles of Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- Properties & Operations of Functions
- Geometry Concepts
- Data Distribution & Graphs
- Permutation & Combination
- Interpreting Statistical & Probability Data
- Mathematical Development & Curriculum
- Measurement & Data
- Scientific Models & Relationships
- Scientific Inquiry & Lab Safety
- Evaluating Scientific Information
- Fundamental Concepts of Physical Science
- Fundamentals of Life Science
- Fundamentals of Earth & Space Science
- Overview of Government & Citizenship
- Overview of Economics & Political Principles for Illinois Educators
- Overview of History & Cultural Development for Illinois Educators
- Fundamentals of Human Geography for Illinois Educators
- Overview of the Arts for Educators
- Overview of Physical Education
- Human Body Systems & Fitness
- Personal, Family & Community Health Overview for Educators
- Illinois Learning Standards
- ILTS Elementary Education (Grades 1-6) Flashcards