About This Chapter
Overview of Discrete Mathematics - Chapter Summary
From giving formulas and examples of math combinations to defining set theory, this chapter offer you the information you need to boost your knowledge of discrete mathematics. The lessons will deliver material on the essential competencies such as combinations, permutations and set theories. Upon completion of this chapter, you should have the skills to:
- List formulas for math combinations
- Define and calculate a permutation
- Calculate the probability of permutations
- Solve permutation and combination problems
- Explain applications of set theory
Through the brief video and text lessons and the quizzes for assessing your knowledge, you can quickly review the information and then test your understanding. You can access this study on a variety of devices for convenience or print out the lesson transcripts to take along with you. Checking your progress is simple through your personalized Dashboard, and you can always ask for further assistance from our subject-matter experts as you review.
1. Math Combinations: Formula and Example Problems
Combinations are an arrangement of objects where order does not matter. In this lesson, the coach of the Wildcats basketball team uses combinations to help his team prepare for the upcoming season.
2. Permutation: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine a mathematical method of calculating the number of ways in which we can order a group of distinct objects. This involves the use of a mathematical concept known as a permutation.
3. How to Calculate a Permutation
A permutation is a method used to calculate the total outcomes of a situation where order is important. In this lesson, John will use permutations to help him organize the cards in his poker hand and order a pizza.
4. How to Calculate the Probability of Permutations
In this lesson, you will learn how to calculate the probability of a permutation by analyzing a real-world example in which the order of the events does matter. We'll also review what a factorial is. We will then go over some examples for practice.
5. Permutation & Combination: Problems & Practice
In this lesson, we will practice solving various permutation and combination problems using permutation and combination formulas. We can continue our practice when we take a quiz at the end of the lesson.
6. Set Theory: Definition & Application
Set theory is a branch of mathematics that is concerned with groups of objects and numbers known as sets. Set theory deals with the properties of these sets as single units, regardless of the nature of the individual elements within the set.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics Middle Grades & Early Secondary (105): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Mathematical Problem Solving
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- Understanding Relations & Functions
- Overview of Linear Functions & Equations
- Quadratic Equations, Functions & Inequalities
- Overview of Polynomial Equations, Functions & Inequalities
- Working with Absolute Values
- Overview of Rational & Radical Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Scientific Measurement Principles & Calculations
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- Triangle Properties & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- Statistics: Principles & Techniques
- Probability: Principles & Techniques
- Performing Operations on Matrices & Vectors
- Solving Problems with Sequences & Series
- NES Mathematics Middle Grades & Early Secondary Flashcards