About This Chapter
Overview of DNA Viruses - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide an overview of DNA viruses and several virus families. Follow along with our expert instructors to learn about diseases like smallpox, cancer, hepatitis and infections of the head, chest and abdomen. We encourage you to take the included self-assessment quizzes to check your understanding of these disease terms, causes and symptoms. You can access the chapter on any computer or mobile device, and our instructors are available to answer questions. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify diseases and infections from the adenoviridae, papillomaviridae, herpesviridae and poxviridae virus families
- Explain liver cancer and hepatitis B transmission
- Understand the causes and symptoms of chickenpox, herpes, mono, lymphoma and the Epstein-Barr virus
1. The Adenoviridae Virus Family: Infections of Head, Chest & Abdomen
In this lesson, we'll talk about how the Adenoviridae virus family causes gastroenteritis, why adenovirus 14 is dangerous, and what vertical and horizontal transmission is, as well as something disgusting called the orofecal route.
2. Liver Cancer and Hepatitis B: Hepadnaviridae Structure, Transmission & Disease
This lesson will cover the structure, mode of transmission and diseases associated with the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses, including the hepatitis B virus, hepatocellular carcinoma, cirrhosis and oncogenesis. We'll also cover the hepatitis D virus and its effects on your body.
3. Chickenpox, Herpes, and Mono: Diseases of the Herpesviridae Virus Family
Learn about the infamous diseases that the viruses of the Herpesviridae family cause. You've probably heard of most of them: chickenpox, shingles, mono, and cold sores. Learn about the viruses such as the herpes simplex, varicella zoster, and Epstein-Barr virus that cause these conditions.
4. Lymphoma and the Epstein Barr Virus: Diseases of the Herpesviridae Virus Family
Find out how the Epstein-Barr virus is involved in all sorts of cancers, such as Burkitt's, Hodgkin's, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, as well as nasopharyngeal carcinoma. You'll also learn about the human cytomegalovirus.
5. Diseases of the Papillomaviridae Virus Family: Warts and Cancer
This lesson will describe what virus causes warts, how it is transmitted, what its structure is like, as well as the main type of cancer it can cause. Find out as we take a look at warts, papillomas, and many other beautiful things!
6. Diseases of the Poxviridae Virus Family: Smallpox, Cowpox & Monkeypox
In this lesson, you'll learn out about the famous and deadly smallpox virus. In addition, you'll get an extra treat by learning about cowpox, monkeypox, and Edward Jenner.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Microbiology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Early History of Microbiology
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory Procedures
- Understanding Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Metabolism
- Bacterial Biology
- Understanding Diseases
- Protozoan Diseases
- Understanding Viruses
- Overview of RNA Viruses
- Overview of Fungal Infections
- Illnesses & Infections of the GI Tract
- Overview of Bacterial STDs
- Understanding Blood-Borne Bacterial Diseases
- Respiratory Bacterial Infections
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections
- Immunology Basics
- Structure & Function of the Immune System
- Overview of Antigens
- Disorders of the Immune System
- Serological & Diagnostic Reactions
- Antimicrobial Drugs Overview
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Methods
- Chemical Methods of Microbial Control
- Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants
- Microbiology & the Environment
- Food & Industrial Microbiology Overview
- UExcel Microbiology Flashcards