About This Chapter
Overview of Earth & Space - Chapter Summary
What are the names of some famous astronomers and what are their contributions to the field? What are some major facts about our solar system? What are the laws of gravity? These are among the topics you will review when you use this chapter.
Short video lessons provide examples and illustrations that support simple instruction to ensure that you learn and retain this information. Once you have completed your study of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Relate basic information about the Milky Way
- Explain facts about Earth, its rotation and other planets in our solar system
- Understand details about the Sun
- Explain what causes shadows
- Detail information about the moon and stars
- Discuss how gravity works
- List the accomplishments and contributions of Galileo, Isaac Newton, Copernicus and Ptolemy
- State what optical telescopes are and how they are used
You can learn details about each of these topics in about 5-10 minutes when you access these lessons, which are available 24/7 on any device. Lesson transcripts are also printable for further convenience. Demonstrate your understanding of each topic by taking self-assessment quizzes before you move from one lesson to the next.
1. Milky Way Facts: Lesson for Kids
If you started counting stars in our galaxy, you could be counting for more than 50 years. The Milky Way is the galaxy that we live in, and it contains a lot of stuff, including billions of stars. This lesson teaches you the basics of the Milky Way.
2. Planet Facts: Lesson for Kids
They're big, they're round, and they circle a giant ball of hot gas. Can you guess what they are? Planets are amazing places full of mystery and wonder. This lesson will teach you the basics of planets - even those beyond our solar system!
3. Planet Earth Facts: Lesson for Kids
We live on an amazing planet. The earth spins through the solar system in the just the right place to contain life. But I'll bet there are lots of things you didn't know about the blue planet. This lesson will teach you all about our home: Earth.
4. Earth's Rotation: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever wondered how and why the earth rotates? This concept has caught the interest of many scientists over hundreds of years. In this lesson, you'll discover interesting facts about Earth's rotation.
5. Sun Facts: Lesson for Kids
The Sun is a part of your every day life, but how much do you actually know about the Sun? Come and learn about what the Sun is, as well as its positive and negative effects.
6. Shadows Lesson for Kids: Facts & Causes
You probably see shadows every day, but may not have thought much about them. Come learn about shadows, why they happen, why they are sometimes long and sometimes short, and some other cool facts about these dark shapes.
7. Moon Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Have you ever heard of the man on the moon? Or that it's made of Swiss cheese? Neither are true, as you will learn in this lesson all about our Moon. Find out how far it is from Earth, what it's like there, what lunar phases are, and more fun facts about our Moon!
8. Stars as a Source of Light: Definition & Explanation
After reviewing this lesson, you will be able to explain how stars are a source of light, and why we see other objects in our solar system. A short quiz will follow.
9. Gravity Lesson for Kids: Definition, Facts & Law
Gravity is what helps keep our feet grounded to the Earth and also causes us to fall! In this lesson, we'll learn what gravity is, how Earth's gravity works, and how gravity in the universe affects us and other objects in space.
10. Gravity in the Solar System: Shaping Planets & Stars
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what gravity is, and the role it plays in forming the shapes of planets and stars. A short quiz will follow.
11. Galileo Galilei Lesson for Kids: Facts & Biography
Galileo Galilei was a revolutionary scientists who lived during the Renaissance period. During his lifetime he made many discoveries that influence our lives even today. In this lesson, you'll learn about this famous scientist.
12. Isaac Newton Lesson for Kids: Biography & Facts
Imagine being so smart that Albert Einstein calls you the smartest person who ever lived. Wouldn't that be awesome! That really is what Einstein said about Sir Isaac Newton. Read on to find out more about one of the smartest people ever!
13. Nicolaus Copernicus Lesson for Kids: Facts & Biography
One of the great astronomers of history, Nicolaus Copernicus, put forth the idea that the Earth revolved around the Sun instead of the other way around. Learn about the life and achievements of Copernicus in this lesson.
14. Biography of Ptolemy: History, Facts & Contributions
Explore the life and accomplishments of the Greek-Egyptian writer, mathematician, and astronomer Ptolemy. Then, test your understanding about the ancient world and early sciences.
15. Optical Telescope: Facts & Overview
This lesson will explain what optical telescopes are, their history, how they work, and how they're used. We will also review the three types of telescopes, including the kinds of aberration (distortion) from which they can suffer. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Living Things in Their Environment
- Lifecycles & Ecosystems
- Overview of Plant Structure & Development
- Human & Animal Body Systems & Development
- Nutrition, Exercise & Personal Care
- Human Health Hazards
- Adaptation & Reproduction of Living Things
- Evolution & Inheritance
- Rocks & Soil Basics
- Basics of Light
- Forces & Magnets
- States of Matter Basics
- Sound & Hearing Basics
- Electricity Basics
- Properties of Materials
- Chemical Changes in Materials
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Science Flashcards