About This Chapter
Overview of Ecosystems - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide an overview of ecosystems, which includes a review of trophic levels and energy flow in an ecosystem. You will also get a better understanding of long-term carbon storage. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- List components of an ecosystem
- Provide real-world examples of biotic factors
- Discuss how abiotic factors help shape and define ecosystems
- Explain how energy flows through an ecosystem
- Recall the role decomposers have in the environment
- Define terms like biomass and ecological niche
- Discuss the role living organisms have in the carbon cycle
- Recount steps of the phosphorus cycle
Each lesson comes with a brief quiz to determine how much of the content you can remember. You can study all of the lessons or just focus on specific topics. Make the most of this resource by printing the quiz in worksheet form to study offline.
1. What Is an Ecosystem? - Definition & Explanation
Similar to a car engine that is made up of multiple parts working together, an ecosystem has interacting parts that support a whole. But how do we define an ecosystem and what are the components they consist of?
2. Biotic Factor: Definition & Examples
This lesson focuses on the meaning of the term 'biotic factor.' It also introduces other terminology such as the words 'abiotic' and 'ecosystem'. There are real-world examples embedded in the lesson, and a brief quiz follows.
3. Abiotic Factors of an Ecosystem: Definition & Examples
When it comes to ecosystems, a mountain, a river, and a cloud have more in common than you might think. Abiotic factors have specific and important roles in nature because they help shape and define ecosystems.
4. Food Chains, Trophic Levels and Energy Flow in an Ecosystem
In this lesson, you'll learn about food chains, food webs, and the different roles that organisms play in an ecosystem. You'll also learn about how energy flows through an ecosystem.
5. What is a Decomposer? - Definition & Examples
Decomposers are an often overlooked part of the natural world, but their job is an important one. Learn what decomposers are, what role they have in the environment and how people use them.
6. What Is Biomass? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you'll learn what ecologists use to quantify the amount of matter in an ecological community. This often relates to the amount of energy being produced by various parts of that community.
7. Ecological Niche: Definition & Importance
Most people want to feel like they belong and have an important role in society. This is also true in a biological aspect. In this lesson, we will learn about ecological niches as well as the roles of organisms and the various aspects of their lives.
8. The Carbon Cycle and Long-Term Carbon Storage
All living organisms have a role in the carbon cycle. Do you know you understand how humans, animals and plants use carbon? This lesson will introduce you to the carbon cycle and explain how it functions on a global scale.
9. Phosphorus Cycle: Steps, Definition & Diagram
Phosphorus is an essential element to all living organisms. It is part of our DNA and RNA, and it forms the molecule ATP, which gives all living things energy. This lesson explains its importance and will walk you through the steps of the phosphorus cycle.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Classification in the Plant Kingdom
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards