About This Chapter
Overview of Employee Rights & Employment Law - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a comprehensive overview of laws, requirements, rights and regulations pertaining to employee rights and employment law. Watch and read through these lessons to review the applications of the Civil Service Reform Act, ADEA law, USERRA, HRM laws, Title VII regulations and much more. When you're finished with the chapter materials, you should be able to:
- Summarize the employment-at-will doctrine, the WARN Act and the Civil Service Reform Act
- Discuss Title VII, ADA, ADEA and PDA law/regulations
- Recognize Title VII requirements for equal employment opportunity
- Evaluate the rights and responsibilities that are defined in the USERRA
- Analyze the tax treatment of disability and health insurance
- Describe the impacts of hostile work environments and sexual harassment in the workplace
- Assess laws and regulations related to human resource management
Following each lesson is a short quiz that helps you retain important terms and concepts. Print the lesson transcripts if you want to study offline, or watch the lessons online using your computer or mobile device. The chapter also includes a progress-tracking dashboard and an easy-to-use Ask the Expert feature.
1. Employee Rights: Employment-At-Will Doctrine & Exceptions
Most employment relationships in the United States are subject to the employment-at-will doctrine. In this lesson, you'll learn about the employment-at-will doctrine and its exceptions. You'll also have the chance to take a short quiz.
2. Equal Employment Opportunity: Title VII Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. In this lesson, you'll learn about Title VII, its regulations and how it affects human resources management. A short quiz follows.
3. Equal Employment Opportunity: Title VII Requirements for Managers & Organizations
Violation of Title VII can result in serious consequences for a business. In this lesson, you'll learn important issues and concepts that managers must understand in order to comply with Title VII. A short quiz follows the lesson.
4. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADA Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books for human resource managers is the Americans with Disabilities Act. In this lesson, you'll learn some of its key provisions and concepts. A short quiz follows.
5. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADEA Law & Regulations
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 will continue to play an important role in human resources management as the U.S. population continues to age. In this lesson, you'll learn about its key provisions.
6. Equal Employment Opportunity: PDA & Regulations
Female employees play a pivotal role in the success of an organization, but have historically been at a career disadvantage if they decide to bear children. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, including its protections and key provisions.
7. USERRA: Definition, Rights & Responsibilities
The lesson discusses the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994. It addresses the rights uniformed service members have, along with the responsibilities of their civilian employers.
8. Tax Treatment of Health & Disability Insurance
In this lesson we will briefly review how the premiums and proceeds of health and disability insurance policies are treated for federal tax purposes by the IRS.
9. The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act
Massive layoffs and plant closings can dramatically affect the lives of employees. In this lesson, you'll learn about the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act and how it attempts to alleviate economic fallout.
10. Labor Relations & Unions: NLRA, Taft-Hartley & the Civil Service Reform Act
The relationship between labor and management is governed by a set of federal labor laws. In this lesson, you'll learn about the National Labor Relations Act, the Taft-Hartley Act and the Civil Service Reform Act. A short quiz follows.
11. Sexual Harassment and the Hostile Work Environment
Sexual harassment is a very real and sensitive issue in the workplace. In this lesson, we will discuss sexual harassment, what it means and what it can do to the work environment.
12. Human Resource Management (HRM): Laws & Regulations
Learn about several laws, regulations, policies and governing entities that human resource management (HRM) must comply with, like the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), sexual harassment and affirmative action.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the aPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Associate Professional in Human Resources course
- Human Resource Operations
- Human Resource Metrics
- HR Data Tools & Collection
- Business Records Management
- Technology & Information Systems for Human Resources
- Job Design & Performance Metrics
- Workplace Organizational Structure
- Functions & Types of Business Management
- Workplace Communication Techniques
- Hiring, Recruiting & Outsourcing for Human Resources
- Compensation Systems, Benefits & Incentive Programs
- Role of HR in Employee Training & Development
- Performance Appraisal in Business Management
- Employee Relations & Recognition Programs
- Employee Feedback
- Employee Behavior in the Workplace
- Employee Discipline & Termination
- Employee Health, Safety & Security
- aPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Associate Professional in Human Resources Flashcards