About This Chapter
Overview of Family Changes & Transitions - Chapter Summary
Family dynamics tend to change and transition throughout different life stages. In this chapter, you'll see how factors like courtship, marriage, child rearing and aging bring about shifts in family relationships, roles and traditions. Work through the chapter at your own pace to examine the effects of mid-life crises, changing family patterns, empty nest syndrome and more. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Identify major family life stages and traditions
- Recognize transition-related symptoms that can arise in middle adulthood
- Explain changes in gender roles during middle adulthood
- Describe late adulthood relationships
- Discuss several issues related to changing family patterns
The chapter comes with multiple-choice quizzes that are designed to reinforce your understanding of important terms and concepts. You can watch these fun video lessons on any device that has an Internet connection, and you also have the option of printing out the lesson transcripts for offline study. These resources are available 24/7, and our subject-matter experts are able to answer any questions you may have about family changes and transitions.
1. Family Life Stages and Traditions: Courtship, Marriage, Child Rearing & Aging
In this lesson, we discuss the four stages of traditional family life that sociologists study. Although the concept of family has changed with time, these four stages remain prominent in our culture.
2. Middle Adulthood Transitions: Mid-Life Crisis & Empty Nest Syndrome
Middle age is a time of transitions, when people's lives are changing rapidly. In this lesson, we'll look at two ways that people often react to those changes: mid-life crises and empty nest syndrome.
3. Gender Role Changes in Middle Adulthood
Middle adulthood is a time of great change for most people. But men and women experience those changes differently. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the way gender impacts middle age, including the famed mid-life crisis and gender crossover.
4. Relationships in Late Adulthood
As people age, many of their relationships change and develop. In this lesson, we'll examine relationships in late life, including those with adult children, siblings, and spouses, as well as the types of single older adults.
5. Issues with Changing Family Patterns
Families have changed a great deal over time. In this lesson, we'll look at dual career, single parent, and blended families. We'll consider the unique issues each can present.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST-E Family & Consumer Sciences Education (041): Study Guide & Practice course
- Characteristics of Human Relationships
- Relationship Conflict & Communication
- Factors Affecting Relationships
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- The Development of Adults
- Influences on Human Growth & Development
- Beginning the Parenting Process
- Parenting Process
- Family Resources
- Sources & Functions of Nutrients
- Nutrition Needs Across the Lifespan
- Nutrition & Wellness
- Overview of Food Preparation
- Food Safety & Storage
- Personal & Family Wellness
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- Personal Insurance Coverage
- Consumer Behavior & Rights
- Family & Consumer Sciences Careers & Education
- Basic Career Skills
- WEST-E Family & Consumer Sciences Education (041) Flashcards