About This Chapter
Overview of Genetics & DNA - Chapter Summary
This engaging overview is designed to help you better understand the function of DNA in cells as well as DNA replication and the causes of mutation. Refresh or expand your knowledge of genetics and DNA with help from our expert instructors. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Describe the structure and function of DNA in heredity
- Explain the process of DNA replication
- Discuss how the central dogma relates to protein synthesis
- Detail the impact an environment can have on mutation rates
- Share the effects of frameshift mutations on proteins
- Define and discuss causes and types of point mutations
- Provide details about the effects of mutations on protein function
Each lesson in this chapter is accompanied by a short quiz you can take anytime to check your knowledge of topics covered. Any questions you think up while exploring the lessons can be submitted to our experts via the Dashboard. The practice exam is fantastic for gauging your overall comprehension of genetics and DNA before taking your test. Around-the-clock access to these resources ensures you're able to study during time frames that perfectly align with your personal schedule.
1. DNA: Discovery, Facts, Structure & Function in Heredity
This lesson will help you to navigate the twists and turns of DNA's structure. We'll also clue you in on the amazing discoveries that put this nucleic acid in the limelight as the molecule of heredity.
2. How Does DNA Replicate?
In this lesson, we will learn why DNA replicates as well as how. We'll also learn about the rates of replication and how DNA proofreads itself. After watching the lesson, you can complete a short quiz to test your knowledge.
3. Protein Synthesis in the Cell and the Central Dogma
Learn the story of the central dogma and how it relates to protein synthesis. We'll use a simple analogy to explore the roles of transcription and translation in building protein from the DNA code. In this lesson, we'll also introduce the concept of a gene.
4. Mutagens: How the Environment Affects Mutation Rates
What causes mutations to occur in living things? How do we avoid mutations? Are mutations always bad? Discover answers to these questions and more in this lesson on mutagens.
5. What is a Point Mutation? - Definition, Causes & Types
What are genetic mutations? How do they affect our DNA? This lesson covers the basics of point mutations and provides simple examples of different mutation types.
6. Effects of Mutations on Protein Function: Missense, Nonsense, and Silent Mutations
How does a tiny point mutation change the way a protein works? What are the consequences of base substitutions? In this lesson, we'll use an imaginary creature to explore missense, nonsense and silent mutations.
7. Effects of Frameshift Mutations: Definitions and Examples
What is a frameshift in genetic translation? How can a frameshift mutation change a protein? In this lesson, learn about the codon reading frame and how frameshift mutations cause serious problems for polypeptide formation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards