About This Chapter
Overview of Grammar for Kids - Chapter Summary
This helpful chapter provides an overview of grammar for kids. It includes interesting and easy-to-understand discussions on nouns, verbs, contractions, and more. Each lesson is brief, and the lessons can be completed in any order. Use these lessons to help your child with the following:
- Nouns, possessive nouns, pronouns, personal pronouns, and possessive pronouns
- Verbs, irregular verbs, and adverbs
- Definite and indefinite articles
- Quantifiers and commands
- Complex sentences
Our instructors are experts in their field and present the information in an engaging manner. Their teaching strategy includes plenty of real-world examples to ensure the material is easily understood by kids. The video timeline can be used to jump straight to the topics of greatest interest. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your child's knowledge. You can also print the quizzes out as worksheets.
1. Nouns Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about one part of speech: nouns. You will learn about common and proper nouns, and we'll discuss some of the ways nouns can be used in sentences.
2. Possessive Nouns: Lesson for Kids
You probably know a lot about nouns already. But did you know that some nouns own, or possess, other nouns? This lesson looks at possessive nouns and how to use them.
3. What is a Pronoun? - Lesson for Kids
Say you're writing a story with a main character named J. Tomas Feeblemeyer. How would you feel if you had to write J. Tomas Feeblemeyer over and over throughout your story? How would your reader feel having to read that long name each time? Learn how pronouns can help.
4. Personal Pronouns: Lesson for Kids
Pronouns are words that can be used to take the place of a noun. There are different kinds of pronouns, but, in this lesson, we are going to look specifically at personal pronouns and learn how useful they are in our everyday speaking and writing.
5. Possessive Pronouns: Lesson for Kids
Whether it's your toys, clothes, or school supplies, there are things that you own. When writing, one way to show ownership is through the use of possessive pronouns. Let's get ready to learn about how to use possessive pronouns.
6. Verbs Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
'Chop,' 'cut,' and 'kick' are all action words. These action words are called verbs. Today, we will learn what verbs are and briefly discuss the different kinds of verbs.
7. Irregular Verbs: Lesson for Kids
Most verbs in the English language follow a regular pattern of conjugation, but there are a number of verbs that don't. What does that exactly mean? Read the following lesson to learn about verb tenses, regular and irregular!
8. Contractions: Lesson for Kids
Can't, she'll, we've, and they're are all words that have something in common. They are contraction words! In today's lesson we will learn about contractions and work with a few examples.
9. Adverbs Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
In this lesson you'll learn about adverbs. You'll learn what an adverb is, some of the questions an adverb can answer, and how to use adverbs to make your writing stronger.
10. Adjectives Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
How would you describe yourself? Would you say you are smart or funny? Is your room messy or neat? Whenever you describe something, you use adjectives. This lesson will teach you what adjectives are and how to use them.
11. Indefinite & Definite Articles: Lesson for Kids
Sometimes we want to talk about or describe a specific item and sometimes we want to talk about something in general. In this lesson, you will learn how to use definite and indefinite articles to describe different things.
12. Prepositions Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Prepositions are one of the parts of speech. In this lesson, you will learn about prepositions and prepositional phrases, how to identify them, and how to use them in sentences.
13. Superlatives: Lesson for Kids
Big, little, great, and worst are all words you probably know and use. These words describe something and give details. Today, we are going to learn about the best describing words--superlatives!
14. Quantifiers & Commands: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn about quantifiers, an essential part of grammar. You'll also learn about commands and how to identify and use them in writing.
15. Complex Sentence Examples: Lesson for Kids
Complex sentences aren't as complicated as they sound! In this lesson, we'll learn about the clauses that make up complex sentences, why complex sentences might be used, and how to write them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NAPLAN Year 3: Test Prep & Practice course
- Understanding the NAPLAN Tests
- Spelling & Capitalization for Kids
- Punctuation Rules for Kids
- Reading Comprehension for Kids
- The Writing Process for Kids
- Counting, Number Patterns & Estimation for Kids
- Decimals & Fractions for Kids
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division for Kids
- Math Word Problems for Kids
- Understanding Geometry for Kids
- Time, Money & Measurement for Kids
- Reading Basic Graphs, Charts & Figures for Kids
- NAPLAN Year 3 Flashcards