About This Chapter
Overview of Groundwater Systems - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive earth science chapter examines the basics of groundwater systems. As you progress through the chapter, you'll familiarize yourself with various groundwater systems, including springs, wells, caverns and sinkholes. Our expert instructors also explain Darcy's law, groundwater movement and current groundwater environmental issues. You can access this chapter at any time using any Internet-connected device Be sure to take the accompanying lesson quizzes and chapter exam to check your understanding of the material. When you're finished working through the chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Explain the geological role of groundwater systems
- Recognize factors that influence the movement of groundwater
- Evaluate the application of Darcy's law
- Identify different types of wells and springs
- Analyze several environmental issues pertaining to groundwater
- Describe the formation of caverns and sinkholes
1. Groundwater System: Definition & Geological Role
Surprisingly, most of Earth's liquid freshwater is not where you might think! In this video lesson, you will learn about groundwater, as well as the important roles it plays in sustaining life and shaping Earth.
2. Factors that Influence Groundwater Movement
The movement of groundwater underneath us is influenced by several factors. In this video lesson, you will learn what these factors are and how they affect how and where groundwater moves.
3. Springs: Definition, Formation & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about springs and how they form. You will also understand how springs are classified based on how they flow as well as how strongly they flow.
4. Wells: Definition & Types
Wells are used all over the world and are an important source of water for many people. In this video lesson you will identify different types of wells, as well understand their underground source of water.
5. Environmental Problems Associated With Groundwater
Groundwater is an important natural resource, but like many of our other resources, it's affected by the surrounding environment and human activities. In this video lesson, you'll learn about some of the environmental problems associated with groundwater and why groundwater is especially vulnerable to them.
6. Caverns & Sinkholes: Definition, Formation & Effects
Groundwater can have dramatic effects on Earth's landscape, both above and below ground. In this video lesson you will learn about caverns and sinkholes, both of which are directly related to groundwater movement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Earth Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basic Earth Science Concepts
- Understanding Earth's History
- Understanding Geologic Time
- The Properties of Matter
- Overview of Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- The Lithosphere
- Overview of Minerals & Rocks
- Igneous Rocks Basics
- Weathering, Erosion & Wasting
- Sedimentary & Metamorphic Rocks
- Geological Forms
- Water Balance
- Understanding Running Water
- Life Cycle of Glaciers
- Properties of Oceans
- Basics of Coastal Hazards
- The Atmosphere
- Weather and Storms
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Understanding Energy Resources
- UExcel Earth Science Flashcards