About This Chapter
Overview of Hearing Impairments - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to cover everything you need to know about hearing impairments, from causes to term definitions. You will learn more about symptoms and treatment of different types of hearing impairments.
You will also review the impacts of hearing loss and impairment in different areas of a student's life. After you complete this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define hearing impairment and explain causes and treatments
- Identify terms used to describe middle ear disorders
- Understand conditions that affect the inner ear
- Describe symptoms and treatment of otosclerosis
- Detail how hearing loss adversely affects social development and educational performance
This study option offers flexibility and convenience, with lessons that are accessible at all times, from any device, and the ability to print lesson transcripts if needed. Expert instructors present the material in an easy-to-follow manner and can be contacted with questions using a short online form. Video and text lessons contain self-assessment quizzes so you can easily determine what you have retained and identify areas where you might need further review.
1. What is Hearing Impairment? - Definition, Causes & Treatment
This video lesson discusses hearing impairment, from the different types and their causes to available treatment options. Following the lesson is a short quiz to test your knowledge.
2. Middle Ear Disorder Terminology
Trauma and inflammation in the middle ear can cause pain and hearing difficulties. This lesson outlines some of the common disorders associated with the middle ear. Test your understanding by completing the quiz at the end of the lesson.
3. Inner Ear Condition Vocabulary
Have you ever had that annoying ringing in your ears? Do you know what that's called and why it occurs? You can learn about that and vertigo here as we look at conditions involving the inner ear.
4. What is Auditory Processing Disorder? - Symptoms & Treatment
Did you know that between five and seven percent of children are diagnosed with auditory processing disorder? Learn more about the disorder, its symptoms, and treatment. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Otosclerosis: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, we'll learn about otosclerosis, a condition affecting hearing. Read more to find out what causes it, what the symptoms are, and how to treat otosclerosis.
6. How Hearing Loss Impacts Social & Emotional Development
If you are a teacher who works with children with hearing loss, you might be interested in the ways their disabilities can affect their social and emotional development. This lesson discusses some of the most common hardships.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Speech & Language Impairment (057): Practice & Study Guide course
- Prenatal, Infant & Early Childhood Development
- Development in Middle Childhood & Adolescence
- Theories of Communication Development
- Atypical Development & Delays
- Linguistic Features of English
- Principles of Phonetics
- Understanding the Speech Mechanism
- The Ear & Its Functions
- Speech Impairments Overview
- Language Impairments Overview
- Neurological, Neuromuscular & Structural Impairments
- Speech & Language Assessment Overview
- Assessing Student Hearing
- Utilizing Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
- Intervention Strategies for Students with Communication Impairments
- Teaching Students with Disabilities & Special Needs
- Communication for SPED Teachers
- Cultural Sensitivity in the SPED Classroom
- Legal Considerations for Students with Special Needs
- Assistive Technology in the SPED Classroom
- Research on Communication Disorders
- MTTC Speech & Language Impairment Flashcards