About This Chapter
1. Basic Structures & Functions of the Human Body
The human body is a complex system with structures ranging from cells to organ systems and functions ranging from waste removal to protection and defense. The structures and functions are dedicated to maintaining a state of health in the body.
2. Functions of the Nervous System
In this lesson, we'll watch Timmy as he plays in his backyard. Watch what happens when he tries to catch a butterfly, hears a mean dog bark, and scrapes his knee. All of Timmy's reactions are tied to his nervous system. For a full explanation of what goes on in the human nervous system, check out the video!
3. The Structure and Function of Neurons
In this video lesson, you'll learn about neurons, which are specialized cells in the nervous system. Check out how far neurons can send signals throughout the body and how depolarization is much like 'the wave' at a football game.
4. The Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems
Did you know that hammerhead sharks and platypuses share a special type of sensory neuron that humans and most other animals don't have? In this lesson, you'll find out what that sensory neuron and a whole lot of others can do. You'll also learn how the nervous system is organized and the differences between the central and peripheral nervous systems.
5. Homeostasis and Temperature Regulation in Humans
Do you wonder how your body is able to maintain a consistent temperature? Have you ever questioned why you get goosebumps when you're cold? This lesson will introduce you to homeostasis and answer your questions about body temperature regulation and reactions, like goosebumps.
6. Innate Immunity: Inflammation, Neutrophils & Natural Killer Cells
You might already know how your body handles known infectious agents but how about unknown? Watch this video to explore your innate immune system - your body's defense against new bacteria and viruses.
7. Acquired Immunity: T Cells, B Cells and Antibodies
Have you ever wondered why some people don't ever seem to get sick? These people likely have an acquired immunity. Learn more about the immune system and how exposure to an illness one time can help your body to prevent that illness from ever occurring again.
8. Infectious Agents: Viruses, Viroids & Prions
While we tend to think of things that can actively kill us as being living entities, the fact is that non-living entities can actively kill us, as well. This lesson explores some of those entities, including viruses, viroids, and prions.
9. Overview of Human Reproduction
This lesson will provide a general overview of the process of human reproduction. We will cover the basics starting from the point of fertilization through the point of birth.
10. Human Development Stages From Infancy to Late Adulthood
Human development is a process that continues throughout our lives. This lesson will take a look at the progression of human development from infancy to late adulthood with all the stages in between.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES General Science (311): Practice & Study Guide course
- NES General Science: Scientific Inquiry
- NES General Science: Science & Society
- Overview of Atoms & Atomic Theory
- Understanding States of Matter
- Chemical Formulas & Bonds
- NES General Science: The Mole Concept
- NES General Science: Chemical Reactions
- NES General Science: Solutions & Solubility Factors
- Energy Transformations of Matter
- Overview of Force & Motion
- Mechanical & Electromagnetic Waves
- Basics of Electricity & Magnetism
- Intro to Cellular Biology
- NES General Science: Traits of Living Organisms
- Principles of Genetics
- NES General Science: Evolution
- NES General Science: Ecosystems
- NES General Science: Rocks & Minerals
- NES General Science: Historical Geology
- Overview of Weathering & Erosion
- NES General Science: Plate Tectonics
- Intro to Earth's Hydrosphere
- Basics of the Atmosphere, Weather & Climate
- Overview of the Solar System & Universe
- NES General Science Flashcards