About This Chapter
1. Basic Structures & Functions of the Human Body
The human body is made up of various structures which aid its biological functions in survival. Learn more in a comparison of the human body and cities, structures of the body, and interactions of human organs in the body.
2. Functions of the Nervous System
The nervous system helps animals interact with their respective environments. Learn more about how the nervous system functions to collect input from the body's senses and external environment, processes and interprets sensory input, and responds appropriately to the sensory input.
3. The Structure and Function of Neurons
The structure of neurons contains two main components, dendrites and axons, that polarize and depolarize cells. Those two components are responsible for the function of sending signals among cells. This lesson extrapolates on those elements, in addition to synapses, and it also explores polarization and depolarization processes.
4. The Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems
The central nervous system is composed of the brain and spinal cord, while the peripheral nervous system is composed of the sensory and motor neurons of the body. Discover how sensory neurons, such as photoreceptors and thermoreceptors, collect sensory input and sent it to the brain, as well as how motor neurons transmit signals to responsive tissues to appropriately respond to a situation.
5. Homeostasis and Temperature Regulation in Humans
Humans, as well as other mammals and birds, need a stable body temperature. Learn how temperature is regulated in humans by exploring homeostasis, thermoregulation, and hypothalamus, and also understand the difference between endotherms and ectotherms.
6. Innate Immunity: Inflammation, Neutrophils & Natural Killer Cells
The innate immune system builds a defense against dangerous pathogens and other foreign invaders of the body. Explore the innate immune system and discover the functions of various immune cells, like neutrophils, which are the first immune cells to respond to wounds.
7. Acquired Immunity: T Cells, B Cells and Antibodies
People who have acquired immunity against an illness cannot be infected with it again. Discover how T cells, B cells, and antibodies work together to fight illnesses in this lesson.
8. Infectious Agents: Viruses, Viroids & Prions
Infectious agents are nonliving organisms that can cause illness when attached to a living host cell. In this lesson, explore the world of viruses, viroids, and prions and how they operate as infectious agents.
9. Overview of Human Reproduction
This lesson will provide a general overview of the process of human reproduction. We will cover the basics starting from the point of fertilization through the point of birth.
10. Human Development Stages From Infancy to Late Adulthood
Human development is the process in which a person grows from an infant into an adult. Explore the different stages of growth like infancy, childhood, adolescence and early, middle and late adulthood.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the NES General Science (311): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the NES Test
- NES General Science: Scientific Inquiry
- NES General Science: Science & Society
- Overview of Atoms & Atomic Theory
- Understanding States of Matter
- Chemical Formulas & Bonds
- NES General Science: The Mole Concept
- NES General Science: Chemical Reactions
- NES General Science: Solutions & Solubility Factors
- Energy Transformations of Matter
- Overview of Force & Motion
- Mechanical & Electromagnetic Waves
- Basics of Electricity & Magnetism
- Intro to Cellular Biology
- NES General Science: Traits of Living Organisms
- Principles of Genetics
- NES General Science: Evolution
- NES General Science: Ecosystems
- NES General Science: Rocks & Minerals
- NES General Science: Historical Geology
- Overview of Weathering & Erosion
- NES General Science: Plate Tectonics
- Intro to Earth's Hydrosphere
- Basics of the Atmosphere, Weather & Climate
- Overview of the Solar System & Universe
- NES General Science Flashcards