About This Chapter
Overview of Inequalities - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, the algebraic concept of an inequality is introduced, as well as how to graph inequalities containing one and two variables. You will also learn about set notation, systems of inequalities, compound inequalities and have the chance to solve practice graphing problems. How to graph and solve an absolute value inequality is also discussed.
As you move through the chapter, your study will include translating math sentences into inequalities and some hands-on practice problems involving linear inequalities. Once you have completed these lessons, you should also know how to:
- Define inequality
- Solve practice problems involving inequality graphing
- Understand how absolute value inequalities are graphed
- Translate an inequality into a math sentence and vice versa
- Complete practice problems involving linear inequalities
Our short video lessons and quizzes are created by professional instructors who know how to capture your attention while learning. Use the printable lesson transcripts as study guides that you can review offline when you're away from a computer or mobile device. If you have questions as you work through the lessons, our instructors are available to offer assistance.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
7. Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily translate math sentences into inequalities. Once you know how to do this, solving word problems becomes that much easier.
8. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Study Guide course
- Computation with Integers
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations
- Probability, Chance & Fundamental Counting Techniques
- Interpreting Visual Displays of Data
- Basic Geometry Calculations
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Flashcards