About This Chapter
Overview of Interpersonal Communication - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Communication between individuals is one of the most fundamental acts of human beings. This chapter will teach you about many aspects of communication that people probably do not consider when engaging in this basic activity. The lessons will examine elements of communication like basic methods and effective processes. Take a short quiz following each lesson to measure how well you have learned the material and if you have any questions, you may contact an instructor. These lessons cover a range of topics, such as:
- The process of communication
- How context relates to communication
- Ethics & communication
- Competent communication
- Symmetrical vs. complimentary communication
|Interpersonal Communication: Definition, Characteristics & Types||Get the basics on interpersonal communication.|
|The Communication Process||Learn about the steps in the communication process.|
|Channels of Communication: Types, Definition & Quiz||Examine specific channels of communication.|
|The Importance of Context in Communication||Discover the role of context in communication.|
|Ethics in Interpersonal Communication||Take a look at the role of ethics specific to interpersonal communication.|
|Competence in Interpersonal Communication||Find out about competent communication.|
|Principles of Interpersonal Communication||Identify and examine various principles that apply to interpersonal communication.|
|Comparing Symmetrical & Complimentary Interpersonal Communication||Learn about two different types of interpersonal communication.|
1. Interpersonal Communication: Definition, Characteristics & Types
We communicate. A lot. So, it's important to understand some of the characteristics and types of our styles of communication. Explore interpersonal communication and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. The Communication Process
This lesson describes the process of communication. Terms such as sender, receiver, channel, encoding, decoding, noise, and feedback will be defined and explained with examples.
3. Channel of Communication: Types & Definition
In this lesson, we'll discuss what communication channels are and why we use them. We'll also cover the different groups of communication channels and some examples of each group.
4. Comparing Symmetrical & Complementary Interpersonal Communication
Communication is a very big part of our daily lives, and different styles of communication can have different impacts. Explore symmetrical and complementary interpersonal communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. The Importance of Context in Communication
We spend a lot of time communicating, so it's important to be aware of how different contexts can impact your communication. Explore the four main contexts of communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. Competence in Interpersonal Communication
Throughout our lives, we interact with a lot of people. So it's pretty important to know what we're doing. Explore the idea of competence in interpersonal communication, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
7. Principles of Interpersonal Communication
Communication is a key part of our social world. In this lesson, we'll talk about the major principles of interpersonal communication, including different kinds of meaning in communication and how context shapes this.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 102: Interpersonal Communication course
- The Impact of Culture on Interpersonal Communication
- Perception & Self-Awareness in Interpersonal Communication
- The Importance of Effective Listening
- Understanding Verbal & Nonverbal Communication
- Overview & Principles of Conversation Management
- Relationship Theory in Interpersonal Communication
- Communication in Relationships
- The Process of Conflict Management
- The Role of Power in Interpersonal Relationships
- Emotions & Emotional Expression
- Communication Between Family & Friends
- Interpersonal Communication in Love & Relationships
- Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace
- Computer-Mediated Communication
- Studying for Communications 102