About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Jainism material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the history, beliefs and types of Jainism. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing information about Jainism
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning world religions (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Overview of Jainism chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Overview of Jainism chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any world religion question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Jainism for a standard world religions course. Topics covered include:
- The origins and founder of Jainism
- Types of Jainism
- Jainist beliefs
- Comparison of Jainism to Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism
1. Jainism: Definition, Origin & Founder
Jainism shares a home with some of the oldest practiced religions in the world, and may predate them all. In this lesson, we'll check out the origins of this ancient system of faith.
2. Jainism: Facts, Beliefs & Types
Want to know more about Jainism, one of the three major religions that developed in India? This lesson introduces the history of the religion, explains what Jains believe about the world and the divine, and looks at Jainism's two major sects and the differences between them.
3. Jainism vs. Buddhism
This lesson looks at the similarities and differences between Jainism and Buddhism, two Eastern religions. By comparing and contrasting them, students gain a deeper understanding of each belief system.
4. Jainism vs. Islam
In this lesson, learn about the five Pillars of Islam, the five vows of Jainism, and the deities of these two religions. Read about their special religious practices and celebrations and find out what Jains and Muslims believe happens after death.
5. Jainism vs. Hinduism
How much do you know about the two ancient Indian religions known as Jainism and Hinduism? This lesson will give you an overview of these religions while also comparing and contrasting them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to World Religions: Help and Review course
- Bygone Religions: Help and Review
- World Religion: Hinduism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Buddhism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Confucianism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Taoism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Islam: Help and Review
- World Religion: Judaism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Christianity: Help and Review
- Catholic Saints
- The Apostles