About This Chapter
Overview of Legislation, Government & Economics - Chapter Summary
In these video lessons, an instructor takes you through a broad overview of government, legislation, and economics. Additional topics presented for you to review include the principles of taxation, control of supply, and regulation of the economy. At the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Define and describe traditional types of government, including strengths and weaknesses
- Explain the role of government in a market economy
- Identify issues related to government intervention in the economy
- Reiterate the principles and systems of taxation
- Describe fiscal policy tools
- Summarize the concept of controlling supply
- Restate governmental regulation and deregulation of the economy
Video lessons allow you to see the information as instructors explain these legislation, government, and economics topics. The printable transcripts provide you with notes for offline study, and the bold keywords can be used for making your own flashcards. Lastly, you can practice answering multiple-choice questions with our chapter exam.
1. Traditional Types of Government: Definitions, Strengths & Weaknesses
In this lesson, we will explore several traditional types of government. We will define each type and take a close look at its strengths and weaknesses.
2. The Role of Government in a Market Economy
In this lesson, you'll examine the role of government in a market economy. You'll learn what kinds of activities may require government interaction, such as those related to consumer and property rights.
3. Government Intervention in the Economy: Issues & Factors
In this lesson, you'll consider the question of when it's worthwhile for the government to take action related to the economy. We'll use concrete examples to help you understand these hotly debated issues.
4. Principles and Systems of Taxation
In this lesson, you'll gain a better understanding of how our tax system works. Look into the different levels of taxation from the federal government to state and local governments.
5. Fiscal Policy Tools: Government Spending and Taxes
Discover the three main tools the government uses to address recessionary and inflationary economies - what economists call fiscal policy. Find out how these tools are used to help the economy in different situations.
6. Controlling Supply: Government Intervention & Market Forces
Sometimes, despite the best efforts of the market, a heavy hand is needed to control supply. This lesson looks at how the government and the market can work to do just that.
7. Governmental Regulation & Deregulation of the Economy
Government regulations affect all aspects of the economy. However, some sectors are subject to specific regulations due to their importance. This lesson explores the purposes and methods of economic regulation and deregulation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies 4-8 (113): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Oral Language Development
- Overview of Phonics & Phonological Awareness
- Supporting Emergent Literacy
- Reading Fluency & Comprehension
- Reading Strategies & Practice
- Texas Educators Literacy Assessments
- Elements of Literature & Point of View
- Interpreting Informational Texts & Data
- Literary Genres, Nonfiction & Fiction
- Writing Mechanics & Conventions
- Spelling Development & Rules
- Writing Instruction for Texas Educators
- Visual Media Literacy in the Texas Classroom
- Texas Educator Research Instruction & Problem Solving
- Historical Foundations & Native Peoples
- European Colonization
- Colonial Governments & Economies
- Overview of the American Revolution
- Understanding the U.S. Constitution
- Road to Texas Independence
- American Westward Expansion
- Pre-Civil War Slavery & the Sectional Crisis
- American Civil War Overview
- America's Reconstruction After the Civil War
- American Industrialization & Urbanization
- Social Movements in the 19th & 20th Centuries
- WWI & The Great Depression
- America & World War II
- Civil Rights in America 1950-1960
- U.S. Geography Foundations & Tools
- Geography & Migration
- Geography & the Environment Overview
- Basics of Economic Theory
- Major Supreme Court Cases in the US
- U.S. Government Structure & the Democratic Process
- American Symbolism & Patriotism
- Culture, Technology & Society
- Texas Social Studies Instruction
- Foundations of Social Studies
- TExES ELA and Reading/Social Studies 4-8 Flashcards