About This Chapter
1. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
2. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
3. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
4. Problem solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
5. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
6. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily find the solution of a linear system in two variables by just using determinants. All you need to find the complete solution is to find three determinants.
7. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use Cramer's rule to help you find your solutions by finding just four determinants. Learn the numbers to use for your determinants.
8. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
9. Linear Inequality: Solving, Graphing & Problems
If you can solve linear equations, you can solve linear inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn how similar the solving processes are. You will also learn the notations you need to use when graphing linear inequalities.
10. What is a Linear Function? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the key identifying mark of linear functions. You'll also learn how to graph them with just two points and how you can use the graph to easily find your answers.
11. Writing & Graphing Linear Functions
We can show the relationship between two variables using a table, a graph or an equation. In this lesson, you will learn how to write and graph linear functions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics Middle Grades & Early Secondary (105): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Mathematical Problem Solving
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- Understanding Relations & Functions
- Quadratic Equations, Functions & Inequalities
- Overview of Polynomial Equations, Functions & Inequalities
- Working with Absolute Values
- Overview of Rational & Radical Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Scientific Measurement Principles & Calculations
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- Triangle Properties & Proofs
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- Statistics: Principles & Techniques
- Probability: Principles & Techniques
- Overview of Discrete Mathematics
- Performing Operations on Matrices & Vectors
- Solving Problems with Sequences & Series
- NES Mathematics Middle Grades & Early Secondary Flashcards