About This Chapter
Overview of Matrices & Determinants - Chapter Summary
These entertaining video lessons provide a comprehensive overview of matrices and determinants. Developed by expert instructors, the lessons help you better understand how to perform matrix row operations, solve inverse matrices and linear systems, evaluate higher-order determinants and more. Once you've completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define a matrix and write an augmented matrix for a linear system
- Understand matrix notation, equal matrices and math operations with matrices
- Describe when to use Gaussian elimination to solve inconsistent and dependent systems
- Exhibit an understanding of multiplicative inverses of matrices
- Take a determinant of a matrix
- Solve systems of linear equations in two and three variables using determinants
- Use Cramer's Rule with dependent and inconsistent systems
All lessons in this chapter are available as short videos and full transcripts. Videos average about 8 minutes each and feature clickable timelines you can use to skip to key topics within the lessons. Full transcripts allow you to read the lessons as texts and can be printed or viewed online. With each lesson is a short quiz designed to assess your knowledge of the concepts it covers. A chapter exam is also available to gauge your overall understanding of matrices and determinants.
1. What is a Matrix?
As math gets more and more complicated and there become more and more numbers flying around, it becomes really handy to put all these numbers in a nice organized grid... hello matrices! Learn about what they are and why there are used.
2. How to Write an Augmented Matrix for a Linear System
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can turn your system of equations into matrix form. The matrix form is another way of writing your linear system that is sometimes easier to work with.
3. How to Perform Matrix Row Operations
Watch this video lesson to learn how easy it is to perform row operations on a matrix. Learn how to perform the three basic operations easily and quickly.
4. Matrix Notation, Equal Matrices & Math Operations with Matrices
Watch this video lesson to learn about the basics of matrices and what kinds of math operations you can do with them. Also learn how to determine whether two matrices are the same or not.
5. How to Solve Inverse Matrices
Watch this video lesson to learn what kinds of matrix operations you can take to find the inverse of a matrix. Also learn why matrix inverses are useful.
6. How to Solve Linear Systems Using Gaussian Elimination
Watch this video lesson to learn an easy way to solve a system of equations that involves manipulating a matrix. Learn the kinds of easy matrix manipulations that are needed to solve any system of equations.
7. How to Solve Linear Systems Using Gauss-Jordan Elimination
You will come across simple linear systems and more complex ones as you progress in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use Gauss-Jordan elimination to help you solve these linear systems.
8. Inconsistent and Dependent Systems: Using Gaussian Elimination
Watch this video lesson to learn whether or not you can use Gaussian elimination to solve inconsistent and dependent systems. Also, learn whether there is another way to find solutions of these systems.
9. Multiplicative Inverses of Matrices and Matrix Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn about another method you can use to solve a matrix problem if you are given the inverse of the matrix. You will also learn the identifying mark of the multiplicative inverse of a matrix.
10. How to Take a Determinant of a Matrix
Matrices are incredibly powerful and can help you do all sorts of things, but one of the most basic (and surprisingly helpful) operations you can perform on one is to take its determinant. Learn how to do that here!
11. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily find the solution of a linear system in two variables by just using determinants. All you need to find the complete solution is to find three determinants.
12. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use Cramer's rule to help you find your solutions by finding just four determinants. Learn the numbers to use for your determinants.
13. Using Cramer's Rule with Inconsistent and Dependent Systems
Watch this video lesson, and you will see what happens when we use Cramer's Rule with inconsistent and dependent systems. You will see what kind of result you will always get when you try to use Cramer's Rule.
14. How to Evaluate Higher-Order Determinants in Algebra
Watch this video lesson to learn the rules for taking the determinant of any size matrix. Learn the kind of matrix that you need before you can take the determinant. Watch as the pattern of the determinant takes shape.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Math: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Expressions & Reasoning in Math
- Complex Numbers & Polynomials in Algebra
- Introduction to Quadratics
- Working with Quadratic Functions Overview
- Mathematical Sequences & Series Overview
- Series & Sequences Application
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Equations
- Binomial Theorem Overview
- Sets & Relations in Math
- Introduction to Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Identities Overview
- Real World Trigonometric Applications
- Operating with Functions
- Solving Inequalities
- Two-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Straight Lines & Angles in Coordinate Geometry
- Circular Arc & Circles in Coordinate Geometry
- Conic Sections in Coordinate Geometry
- Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Limits & Continuity in Differential Calculus
- Calculating Derivatives
- Differentiable Functions & Min-Max Problems
- Differentiability in Integral Calculus
- Overview of Probability in Calculus
- Vectors & Scalars in Math
- Dispersion & Frequency Distributions in Statistics
- Linear Programming & Systems of Equations
- Definite Integrals
- Permutation & Combination
- Mathematical Modeling Overview
- BITSAT Exam - Math Flashcards