About This Chapter
Overview of Matrices - Chapter Summary
This chapter is an excellent resource for anyone looking for help studying matrix concepts. Lessons provide in-depth analyses of the algebraic principles of matrices and are formatted for review via any computer or mobile device. Navigate the lessons at your own pace whenever your schedule permits. When finished, you should be able to:
- Define and discuss the uses of a matrix
- Take a determinant of a matrix
- Understand math operations performed with matrices
- Determine the inverse of matrix, and calculate the adjugate matrix
- Write an augmented matrix for a linear system
Take advantage of the flexibility this chapter offers as you set your study schedule. Squeeze in study sessions anytime and anyplace with an Internet connection or via your smartphone. Find out how much you understand before, during or after reviewing each lesson by taking the corresponding self-assessment quiz. To test your knowledge of the entire chapter, take the comprehensive practice exam.
1. What is a Matrix?
As math gets more and more complicated and there become more and more numbers flying around, it becomes really handy to put all these numbers in a nice organized grid... hello matrices! Learn about what they are and why there are used.
2. How to Take a Determinant of a Matrix
Matrices are incredibly powerful and can help you do all sorts of things, but one of the most basic (and surprisingly helpful) operations you can perform on one is to take its determinant. Learn how to do that here!
3. Matrix Notation, Equal Matrices & Math Operations with Matrices
Watch this video lesson to learn about the basics of matrices and what kinds of math operations you can do with them. Also learn how to determine whether two matrices are the same or not.
4. Inverse Matrix: Definition, Properties & Formula
Matrices are powerful tools for a wide variety of applications: computer gaming, massive data visualization, and designing buildings for earthquakes. This lesson goes over how to determine the inverse of a matrix and why it might be useful.
5. Adjugate Matrix: Definition, Formation & Example
In this lesson we'll calculate the adjugate matrix. This will require finding minors, determinants, and transposes. All of these steps will be carefully explained with an example.
6. How to Write an Augmented Matrix for a Linear System
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can turn your system of equations into matrix form. The matrix form is another way of writing your linear system that is sometimes easier to work with.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP EAMCET E (Engineering): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Principles of Mathematical Functions
- Mathematical Induction
- Overview of Complex Numbers
- Understanding Quadratic Expressions
- Theory of Equations
- Permutations & Combinations in Algebra
- Understanding the Binomial Theorem
- Understanding Partial Fractions
- Fundamental Elements of Trigonometry
- Understanding Hyperbolic Functions
- Trigonometric Properties of Triangles
- Vector Algebra
- Measures of Dispersion
- Principles of Probability
- Coordinate Geometry Overview
- Lines & Circles
- Conic Sections Overview
- Three-Dimensional Coordinates
- Limits & Continuity
- Differentiation in Calculus
- Integration in Calculus
- Understanding Differential Equations
- Understanding the Basics of Physics
- Units & Measurement in Physics
- Understanding Motion in Physics
- Systems of Particles & Rotational Motion
- Work, Energy & Power Overview
- Overview of Oscillations
- Overview of Gravitation
- Properties of Solids, Fluids & Gases
- Thermal Properties of Matter
- Rays, Waves & Wave Optics
- Understanding Electricity
- Magnetic Force & Electromagnetism
- Currents, Waves & Circuits
- Communication Systems
- Atoms & Nuclei
- Atomic Structure Overview
- Understanding Elements & the Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- States of Matter in Chemistry
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Thermodynamics & Chemistry
- Chemical Equilibrium & Acid-Bases
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Environmental Chemistry
- Understanding Organic Chemistry
- Solids in Chemistry
- Electrochemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- Metallurgy Overview
- Polymers Overview
- Understanding Biomolecules
- Everyday Chemistry
- AP EAMCET E (Engineering) Flashcards