About This Chapter
Overview of Matter - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll receive a high-level overview of matter. These short, simple and fun video lessons examine the different states of matter, the properties of water, neutral solutions, acids, bases and much more. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Differentiate between solids, liquids, gases and plasma
- Define the physical property of matter
- Compare types of matter phase changes
- Evaluate examples of acids and bases in chemistry
- Identify the components of neutral solutions
- Recognize the properties of water
You'll be able to strengthen your understanding of these concepts by taking the chapter's multiple-choice lesson quizzes. Transcripts of each lesson are available to print, and you can access these resources on any computer or mobile device. If you have questions about the material, simply reach out to our expert science instructors.
1. States of Matter: Solids, Liquids, Gases & Plasma
Learn the four states of matter in the universe: solid, liquid, gas and plasma. Learn about the differences in shape and volume among the four states, which of the states is the most common and why plasma conducts electricity.
2. Physical Property of Matter: Definition & Examples
Every time you look at an object, you observe its properties. In this lesson, you will learn about the physical properties of matter so you can identify them in the future.
3. Phase Changes of Matter: Types & Examples
We are surrounded by matter. In this lesson, you will learn about phase changes of matter, and the types of phase changes that occur so you can recognize them in the future.
4. What is Acid in Chemistry? - Definition & Overview
Acids are chemical agents that release hydrogen ions when added to water. Their chemistry makes them one of the most important classes of molecules in nature and science. This article addresses acids and their properties.
5. Base in Chemistry: Definition & Example
After this lesson, you will be able to define and describe bases, and explain how they differ from acids. You will learn about real-life examples of bases in action in our bodies and in the environment.
6. Neutral Solution: Definition & Examples
Did you know that tap water and even human blood are neutral solutions? Continue reading to learn what neutral solutions are and how to identify them.
7. Properties of Water
Why does ice float? Why can water rise on its own against gravity in a small tube? Find out how these mysterious properties of water can be explained by hydrogen bonds.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards