About This Chapter
Overview of Medical Terminology - Chapter Summary
This mobile-friendly series of lessons provides a high-level overview of medical terminology and abbreviations. Follow along with our expert instructors to understand the formation of medical terms, identify common medical abbreviations and define important disease and diagnostic terms. Following each lesson is a short quiz to help you commit these vocabulary words to memory. Feel free to reach out to our instructors if you have any questions. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain how medical terms are formed
- Understand basic medical terms related to acute and chronic disease diagnoses
- Evaluate the importance of accuracy when using medical terminology
- Recognize common medical abbreviations
1. How Medical Terms are Formed
In this lesson, we'll focus on how medical terms are formed and practice forming them. You will become familiar with how to build medical terms to describe parts of the body, procedures, and bodily processes.
2. Basic Medical Terms of Diagnosis for Acute & Chronic Diseases
This lesson will focus on the differences between a diagnosis and a differential diagnosis. We will also get an understanding of what is meant by acute and chronic diseases.
3. Accuracy & Abbreviations in Medical Terminology
We are going to focus on why it is of the utmost importance to be accurate when using medical terminology. We will then look at the role of abbreviations in medical terminology and gain an understanding of why they are so useful.
4. Common Medical Abbreviations A - C
We will define the most commonly used abbreviations in medical terminology that begin with the letters A-C. We will also discuss how the abbreviations are used.
5. Common Medical Abbreviations D - J
This lesson covers the most used medical abbreviations that begin with the letters D - J. We will look at the common ways in which the abbreviations are used.
6. Common Medical Abbreviations K - O
This lesson will cover some of the most commonly used medical abbreviations that begin with the letters K-O. We will look at some explanations for how the abbreviations are used as well.
7. Common Medical Abbreviations P - R
This lesson will cover medical abbreviations that begin with the letters P - R. We will look at how they are used and discuss ways to distinguish similar abbreviations.
8. Common Medical Abbreviations S - Y
We will be going over common medical abbreviations that begin with the letters 'S' through 'Y'. How they are used and where they may appear are also going to be covered in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology